Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ThE FiXeD GeAr Of FuRy ChRoNiCLeS EpIsOdE FoUr: CrOOm

Croom almost didn't happen.

I got up late 615am to be exact and I live 120 something miles away from the place.

I didn't roll out with much haste. I knew that I would have time to get there and do the ride, and knew that I would most likely have to do it alone. I was mentally prepared.

I rolled in, parked, got ready and found Mike(blond afro) there hanging out. We had some good conversation and then Harvey rolled up. We chatted some more, got ready and headed out.

That first section of trail coming down Tucker Hill is fun. Real fun and real fast and takes a lot of control on the fixie. It didnt seem to slow me down any as we quickly caught up to a pit stopped Harvey and flew by him. He made the gap back fast and asked if we wanted to visit Skip.

Not being sure of exactly what he was talking about, we agreed and stopped at his Trail Side memorial. We looked at the pics and heard Harvey tell us more about who he was. We waited for Mike Nuccio to show up and then all rolled out again together.

I did my best to keep pace with Harvey, and I was doing fine, BUT, a fixie is not a bike where you wanna keep pace, its a bike where you wanna set pace. So I backed off, and eventually Mike came around, and that is the last I saw of Mike for the rest of the day. I Eventually passed Harvey while he was pit stopped at a rest stop and he half scared the crap out of me when he came up behind me again. That turned out to be the last time I saw Harvey, but Mike, I rode with for alittle bit before he missed a turn.

My pace was Fast on this ride, but without effort. I was not trying to go fast, I was just going. But when your constantly pedaling, you make good time. I stopped ate some of the food at the stops, they had good pastries and meatballs and fruits and cheese, all stuff that I like to eat. I stopped at the top of the big sugar mound and sat there reflecting and listening to the wind. The Fixie has definetely made me stronger after 300 miles of riding it. It has also, leaned out my legs and ass a little. Seems none of my bike shorts, except for my bibs, fit like they used too. O well.

First I want to stake my claim as the first person to do all the recreational early year fifties on a fixed gear bike. It is my title and I carry it proudly. Second I want to take a moment to offer some reviews. Felasco had the best singletrack set up in all the years that I have ridden it, simply a joy to ride. Ididaride, was the most fun I have had this year since I have ever done it. And Croom had a down home feel and the best food out of all of the rides. BTW, I judge the food options on how Primal the food selection is. For after dinner, Croom had pulled beef, pulled pork and beans, perfect recovery foods for a primal athlete like myself.

I had a blast this year, and I want to thank again all the people who helped make this Fixed Gear of Fury series a reality, Garry from Swamp, Sandpine, My new friend Steve and Broadus Bunch.
As always last but not least, big shout out to the Warrior Princess, cause without her sacrificing the time she could be spending with me, I would not be able to go out and unleash my fixed gear of fury.

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

4 comments:

paintboy said...

Karlos
Quite the achievement this year . I Believe the mike u are talking about is my friend Mike Nissley tall thin red headed guy? i`m glade u stopped at Skips from what I hear he was quite a guy . sorry I missed U last weekend. I`m sure I will see u out there some day .
Bill

EL SandPine said...

Bill, were you riding with Mike at Croom?

So you going to put the fixie distractions away now? What is the plan?

Unknown said...

Congrats on the fixie achievement. It Would have been cool to ride some of Croom with you, but then again, I can't keep up the the fixie of fury. Not yet anyways...

Karlos said...

No. I will keep riding fixie till I build up a geared bike again. waiting on my care package, patiently of course. I love the fixie and I love the black fixie even more. so damn light, thing just flies!!!