Sunday, December 19, 2010

DaNGeH WiLL RoBinSOn!!!

As a rider, one who ventures into the unknown and one who takes his kid with him into he unknown, its important to know when to realize that there is a significant opportunity for danger.

What is Danger when you are riding a bike?

Traffic of course should always be considered.

Course conditions, steep drops, technical terrain as well.

BUT weather can be the biggest danger of all. Hypothermia, heat Stroke can all affect core temperature and potentially cause a life threatening situation.

And When we set forth this past Saturday to add some singletrack to the the Huracan route we fully expected rain, around 12 pm to 2pm and instead got rain about 9 miles into the ride. With no sun in sight, no warmth for miles what do you do.

1. We assessed what we did have. Two strong riders one 11 year old boy, two equipped to handle the conditions, one in cotton save for his socks.
2. We made a plan.
3. I insulated my wool shirt with paper and asked Rob who had 27 gears at his disposal, and the stronger rider of us two to tow Kai back to the start. We called a ride abandon, we figured after wading across the river there was no way we could get dry and handle the cold without the appropriate gear. I was unprepared.
4. Execute plan. As Rob prepared the Tow rope with Kai, I took off setting the fastest 85% tempo I could muster. I gave clear instructions to the team to keep going even if they caught and passed me. "I told Rob, get him back there, and get him warm."

1 hour, soaking wet in the cold for Kailan was totally manageable. But anything longer than that could potentially cause a drop in body temperature and a risk for a serious 911 emergency. The decision we made was the right one.

Team Kai and Rob, were not able to pass me, which was good, so we stayed together till the end. And once back in the car I warmed him up with a thick blanket and we called the day early, both agreeing that during the hard effort that we just mustered, we did not feel any cold, and truthfully I was not cold, I rode my ass off to get back, and every time that Rob would pull up next to me I would stand up and pedal, just to mess with him a little. Hey, towing is hardwork and I would like some first person point of view recognition on how hard what I do with my boy is, LMFAO!!!!

Even though it was a plug pulled ride, the adventure was still in the ride... Read this carefully folks, if your ever trapped in this situation, make the right call.

Later on that day, after that gigantic blob of precipitation did its business across the state, the temps were right where they should have been, when we were supposed to be mapping, o well right....

You know what they say about Florida don't you.... If you don't like the weather... Wait ten minutes... It'll change...

Take Care,


Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good call. towing kids is easy compared to towing a grown man uphill both ways!