Monday, May 02, 2011

FuLLy LOaDeD FeRRy FuN

At one point all my rides were pretty chaotic. They involved hours of me looking at satellite photos and using the measuring tool to anticipate a turn that may or may no longer exist.

THEN along came Topofusion and the ability to sketch a track was born and for a couple of years I have become arguably one of the top off road route creators in the state.

But recently, I have learned, better said, craved, just going out and seeing what happens. I guess variety is the spice of life.

Awhile ago, Curt Reffner contacted me about doing a mostly off road route that involved a ferry crossing. Sounded like a good time, we made plans to do it, but at the last minute Curt had other pressing matters that needed his attention.

So the ride got put into the archives. And recently, I got my new bike, and recently I wanted to pack it up as if I was Touring the Divide and take it for a run.

So I did, I rode out from Edith's house, using the Dirtiest google map navigation suggestion to Fort Gates Ferry road some 40 something miles away.

As always I was pleasantly surprised by the route I was riding, dirty, scenic, back country,but then I came to a spot that required me to go straight where a fence was in the way. To my right there was a fence as well, but this one was labeled, "conservation area".

I hiked my way into the conservation area, hoped a fence,went through a gate onto some more pristine fire road. Or so I thought. Before long I was amongst big construction vehicles kept following the navigation instructions and came upon the tallest fence ever. As I attempted to skirt the fence in the distance I could see a 4 x 4 pick up truck coming towards me. I kept riding.

As it got closer I started wandering what they wanted, but didn't increase nor decrease my pace. Just then I hear a Honk and I stop to be confronted by a tall guy pretty upset that I was trespassing.

I explained that I was following a route, they got irate, got pretty confrontational, and I told them to call the police.

Eventually, there was a back and forth heated discussion. I was calm, but they were not. They were real upset and they were anxious to see me get arrested for my offense. Eventually, after speaking to the police they were told they could not hold me, so I hoped the fence and left, much to their dislike.

I didn't honestly know I was trespassing and I didn't see any signs saying to the contrary. In fact, I am now pretty educated on Florida trespassing laws and will be ready to educate anyone that attempts to pull something like this on me again.

For miles after, I was expecting to see the Police pull up and give me the business, but nothing. I kept the pace intentionally high, and nothing. Eventually I turned off the main road, and now it became a race against time as I had left late, and had been delayed, I knew the ferry only ran till 530.

And I didn't even need to do all the hauling ass I did. I made the ferry, crossed the river, got to the other side, treated to a plethora of wash boarded forest road. Before long I was in Salt Springs sitting down to food and beer.

I bought some soy candles for my girl and took off after some careful news paper wrapping and packing. I made it to the secret singletrack and started heading towards Sanford where I had planned to camp.

As I rode in the dark alone, I thought about the divide. Thought about all the time I will be alone from the ones I love. My kids, my girl, my family, my girls kids. And when I got to SR 40, instead of continuing on to Seminole forest to my solo camp spot. I turned east towards De Leon, towards my girl, towards home. I figured, I feel good, I feel strong, the bike feels nimble, the test was a success. I got twenty days or more to be camping alone in the forest, I think tonight, I wont be alone, not cause I have too, not cause I couldn't, not cause I was bonking, but because I wanted too.

The event is truly closing in fast and the last thing I need is more camping practice.

So the trip was cut short, about a 10 hour voyage, 95 mostly dirty miles and a Ferry boat river crossing. Thanks for the Idea Curt.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: