Tuesday, February 28, 2012

WiLsOnS CrEEk, PiSGaH FoReSt, Nc

Luis, my good friend, the artist formerly known as Mucaro Mtb Dot Blogspot Dot Com, and I have almost the same birthday in the same birth month.  In fact, we didn't even know this, but the first time I ever saw the forest of Pisgah was with Luis and it was on a weekend where we both had birthdays.  We, without really knowing each other, except through the inter web(recurring theme), went on an out of state trip, with two birthdays in tow, talk about coincidence.(need I remind you there is no such thing)

And we repeated the tradition.  For many years, going up together at least twice.  Once during our B day month and once during the PMBAR.  This year we planned a five day trip and we planned it way ahead of time.

My failure in the Deserts of New Mexico in 2011 was like a radioactive spider bite to spiderman.  After that Tour Divide Experience, however small it was, I became a different person.  I guess you could call it a mid life crisis, but I had discovered that after 20 years of straight full time work, I had not really followed any of my dreams outright.  Fortunately, in the grand scheme of things I am slow, even in my aging, and still feeling youthful, I came back to do things differently.

I made lots of life changes since my return and all have equaled even more happiness then ever.  ONE of the most serious changes I made was increasing my seriousness in my Professional Cycling Adventurer title.  Its like that has become my full time passion and work has become something that I do that helps facilitate that.  In the past it was the other way around, I was more a cable technician who rode bike, if that makes any kind of sense.  With the Trip planned so far a head, I resolved to treat it like a training camp for the upcoming CFiTT.

The morning of our day before we left Pisgah forest we spent it doing dawn patrol into the fully loaded Honda Element, heading out on speeding highways in search of John a good friend who was going to show us the SECRET GEM of Pisgah Forest.  Usually, we don't leave the campground except to restock and ride.  The four days before we spent exploiting the forest for its singletrack goodness.

After our arrival on day one, we spent the afternoon evening, cresting Black Mountain, feeling the slash of the Clawhammers brutal steep wake up call.  I know our rides our never races, but you get three strong riders together and you cant help but smell the competitive vibes.  I was last up the mountain, playing it safe, saving my legs, using my gears.  My compadre's where on single speeds and had no choice but to stand and mash and they disappeared up the mountain.

 The Crest of Black Mountain came faster then I anticipated, and when we got back to camp, we were all surprised by how quick we made it back, beating the setting sun.

Day 2 started with rain, and finished with a fun loop around the campground and me losing my side knobs on a slippery corner.  I love my renegades, but the cornering on them is tricky.

Day 3 was the hardest longest day with the most adventure to be had as we really put the crush groove down and climbed tons of peaks and tons of great descents.  At the end we had an 8 mile road ride back to the campground and it was my chance to show my single speed brothers the advantage of a 44 tooth chain ring.

Day 4 we drove to North Mills and climbed Laurel Mountain, descended Pilot rock and eventually, to my surprise I caught and passed Aaron who only 100 feet from finishing destroyed his valve on his tubeless and we could not get it out to resolve the issue.  I had broke my leatherman so I could offer no help, so Luis and I had a one on one game of cat and mouse racing back to the car, with me eventually getting crushed by 5 seconds.

Luis and Aaron are great company.  We would hang out and talk and I would go to bed early cause I wanted and needed a rested body to keep climbing and climbing day after day.

Day 5 was the unexpected part of the trip.  The adventure into the unknown.  The morning went smooth enough and after dropping off our shuttle, we started with a long downhill, then uphills, then abandoned tracks and rutted out snake run like descents, huge drops, it was a smorgasbord of everything I like.  Side cut overgrown forest roads in the side of mountains.  Treacherous river crossings.  Huge 4 foot sheer drops that you either had to Huck or ride, but you had to choose quick.  This place was heavenly and rugged, and raw and beautiful.

At the end, we had 3 miles left of climbing to get back to the vehicles.  The single speeders took off, but knowing It was my last day in the mountains I had no fear and gave chase.  I stood up, clicked up and hung in as long as I could before cracking 1/4 mile shy of the top.  I finished third in our imaginary race and gave my self third overall in the five day pisgah training camp stage race.  I still felt proud of all the climbing I did and all the descending, but ashamed about some of the drops I by passed for safety.  I made a promise to two women when I left that I would play it safe and I did.

Luis, the artist formerly known as mucaro mtb dot blogspot dot com has since moved to Colorado where he shreds singletrack mountain trails and hero dirt daily with Unicorns and rainbows everywhere.  Aaron and I have hung out since and we continue to talk.  This sport of mountain biking seems to be boundless in what it continues to offer.

I love it.

Take care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: