Thursday, November 22, 2007

Flashback: November 3, 2007 The Final Countdown: The last days of Razorback.

Note: Its important while reading this that you have this tune in your head.


Razorback. The Best Trail in Florida. And its no news to anyone now that its gone. Denial was a way to describe the way I felt and still do. I don't want to believe that its closed.

Razorback. My last ride, was a battle to conquer sections of the trail I never conquered. I did a dusk ride and a night ride and I kicked the place's ass. The only climb I didn't make and will apparently never have the chance to make is clay climb.

Everything else I cleaned at a cosmic level it seemed as my spirit was determined unconsciously pouring all my effort into cleaning the trail. All my good fortune did not go unpaid as I crashed after a sick nose wheelie in the last pit before the last climb. It was a scary crash, but thankfully, I came away unscathed as did my bike.

Razorback was a place that I had much pride in being able to ride well. It was the first place I got my first top five finish. It was the only trail that one day would make me feel like a hero and others would make me feel like a zero. The first place I ever raced the yellow wave. The first and only place in Florida I raced a 12 hour at. It was a trail I truly loved from deep inside.

Razorback, the loss of it, is a blow to the Florida MTB community. And although we will always search for a replacement, I don't think we will find it.

I camped there too many times to count. Luckily I had a chance to participate in the last goneriding event that was held there.

That night as we all drank well past our fill. And as we all witnessed the tomfoolery that was afoot and the fireworks and the good times. I appreciated every turn and granule of dirt and stone that made up my final ride. I marveled at the corners and pummeled the climbs, realizing that it was all too soon going to be a thing of the past.

Here is to you Razorback, may your path to the other side be one of complete benefit. May your path to the otherside, be one where you see your family members and spend time enjoying the proverbial happy hunting grounds that await.

AHON!

No comments: