Sunday, September 21, 2008

CaTcH 22: Where WeRe U?

The individuals that live in Gainesville are geniuses. The Mountain Biking paradise they have created is magnificent and simply Brilliant!

We got up at 5am on this day with the idea of scoring breakfast and being there at a reasonable time to prepare and ride the race. This day was more about the warrior princess, more about the bird conquering and experiencing something unique. Last year she got to see the MTB festival known as the Catch 22. Last year she was supposed to sit there and do her homework and then we would hang out after the ride. But, none of that happened. She saw them prepping and cooking, caught a fever for helping and was over there assisting with the post ride buffet.

This year, she wanted to ride.

So we did. We have worked and practiced on her long riding skills. We are normal people, we ride when we can and train when we can, we don't get many days in the saddle, but when we do get them we love to go long. Recently she decided she wanted to upgrade to clipless pedals and I encouraged her. It is after all a natural progression and opportunity to reach the next level in riding skills.
Last Saturday we rolled out to inspect the last section of the NK loop and we ran into lots of flooding and she fell a couple of times and got a little frustrated with the process. Its tough learning to ride with clips and we all know it takes time. The plan was to practice during the week, but life got in the way and come Saturday early it was time to ride.

Before we knew it we were lined up. 20 to 30 die hard singlespeeders setting out to do the route known as the Catch22. As did last years it started with a Leman's start around the property to the beer cooler. There you were required to shot gun a cold one and then allowed to set out on the ride.

Our plan was to take as long as it would take to get Paloma thru the ride. I was not worried about having to wait and not worried about having to go slow, I just wanted to give her the chance if she chose, to conquer the route.
It also proved to be a good chance to test my off road touring handlebar bag. I put three 20 oz Dasani waters in there. As well as my tools and emergency stuff and my Mountain Morph pump. I didnt wear a Camelbak at all on this ride. The bike was loaded down a little but me I was free. Since we were riding all day I rigged up my Bluetooth speaker and the music was blaring the entire time. I got a lot of inquiries on the system and compliments on the set up.

To keep it brief, the day was awesome. The singletrack was super buff. This year it had way more trail then last year, barely any dirt roads, roads or double track, easily 85 to 90% single track. The dirt was in perfect condition and there were new sections added and tons of climbing. I dugg all the up and down stuff and the super long climbs, it was heavenly. The gainesville locals easily have it the best in the state bar none.

We covered some gorgeous terrain and rode choice singletrack all day long. We took breaks. Made the Upside Down V pavilion before the rain and sat there and chatted and ate while the sky opened up on the land. We had some great moments, but eventually, Paloma was getting beat down by the trail and was taking several slow speed clip related falls and at mile 31 I decided to pull the plug and head back to RB's House.

After asking a Fireman for directions we rode 14 more miles and several more climbs before finishing the day. We cleaned up, ate and drank till late. RB lit the biggest fire I have seen in years and we relaxed and chatted as I hung out with a fine bunch of interesting people.

By far the best Fifty in the state and I cant wait till the next Gainesville Event. I tried to compare their ride to the NK ride and simply put, they have CUT and BUILT a magnificent and extensive trail system. I have only put together a bunch of stuff I found. BUT, I have the potential to one day have a similar moutain biking mecca on this side of the world.

If you were not there, you missed one of the best rides this state has to offer. Hopefully You can make it, or even better, get with a local and go ride some of this stuff next weekend. Its AMAZING out there!

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

3 comments:

EL SandPine said...

Okay so what does Paloma think? Great ride man I am glad you dig this ride. Have to check it out sometime... Where da pics? wantosee those bags...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an awesome time babe. It was hard work and i got my ass kicked but it was so worth it! I really want to go out and do it again. RB really knows how to light a nice bond fire huh?! It was great!!!

EL SandPine said...

You two would enjoy the SWAMP FTF tremdously. Maybe a bit late this year as is full. But usually there are peeps selling their tickets. Check it out on http://www.swampclub.org/alafiaftf.htm

three days of riding, camping, bondfires, and beer.. tons of beer and great peeps.