Saturday, February 05, 2011

St FraNcis Pain CaVe WaGoN TraIL COnNector

Ever since the Failed TransFlorida Kai and I had, I have been constantly considering how to make him strong enough for that type of effort.

He already commutes 5 days of the week logging a minimum of 4 miles a day, 20 a week. LOL, its not a lot but he's 11.

Not long after the Failed XFL, we went riding and he had his strongest ride ever. Proves my theory of what does not kill you makes you a better rider.

So one day I daydreamed of Taking Edward and Kailan to the Ghost town of St Francis then across the pain cave connector to Alexander springs.

I had no idea what the mileage would be. The only part of the route I needed was the Old wagon trail route, the rest I knew.

And off we set, making our way along the Undulating De Leon Bike Path. I would drop them, stop, take pictures, then chase them down, the drop them. It seemed like they were having a good time as they pedaled and chatted.

We arrived at the first designated rest and resupply spot. We had some quick snacks, I stuffed my frame bag full of food for all of us.

I made an agreement early with my fellow riders.

"I will be your pack mule", I told them....

"but I am not bringing a tow rope",.....

They agreed.

The Path to the Ghost Town of St Francis is fun with a capital F. Sick long board walks, twisty rooty trail. We even found an Artesian well, which I am willing to bet is safe for drinking.

We made it to the Ghost Town and relaxed, and looked at the river, and ate food, and rested a bit.

I knew after that, the real ride was going to begin. The wagon trail is an arduous challenge for any rider, let alone a 14 yr old and an 11 yr old.

But it was actually in amazing shape.

The wagon trail is hardly flat.

The constant long ups and downs, and Sand, kept splitting up the group. Many breaks were had. Both boys started suffering.

But they stuck to their agreement and persevered. I was very Proud of LiL'R NI as he really found his HTFU and started working out the terrain and the effort with all out body standing single speed mashing.

At one point we were waiting a bit of the Road side for Edward.

We can see in the distance that he keeps pausing. And bending over, then he rides some more and he repeats.

Well when he finally catches up to us, he shows us how his pedal had stripped out the crank arm and fell off. He had been kind of rigging it to make it to us.

Well I attempted to zip tie it and broke the ties.

I attempted to find a stick to shove in the hole so he could pedal. Afterall the last 6 miles were on forest road and with a good strong stick the perfect length and perfect diameter it would have been completely doable.

BUT No. Nothing worked.

So I went into Bear Grylls mode and started looking around the woods to see if I could find some old rope or something to tow him with. There was only one way to go and that was forward.

Eventually I took my swiss army knife out. Cut one of my tubes, and fashioned a tow rope. Edward is alot bigger than Kailan, and this was one tough work out. BUT, I got our speed up and not only were we rolling but we were rolling fast.

Kailan was hurting, but being humble and not being shy to ask for us to rest a minute. I was so proud that he finished a very hard ride in the forest under his own power.
'
At Alexander Springs, I took a nap with my cold weather gear on as the onslaught of night brought about a significant chill.

Before Long Extraction arrive and off we went to eat and celebrate the Pain Cave exploration they endured on this day.

Truly a great lesson was learned by all.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are such an awesome dad!! What wonderful memories you are creating and the value of time w/ your son!!