Wednesday, June 12, 2013

NaKeD oN ThE DiViDe: The EpiLogue

Its been years in the making.  This dissection of a continent via a human powered off road bicycle.... 6 or 7 years.....
Its been so long its hard to remember.... I am such a slow learner that what most folks can master in a few years it takes me many more. 
When I left the desert in the summer of 2011, after taking a feeble attempt at a south to north traverse, a journey began.
A transformation was started. When I came back I quit my job as a cable technician (insuring a life of financial simplicity) and started working as a bike shop employee.
There was a three fold logic to my choice.. Being on the divide had taught me life was too short to work for a living so instead I wanted to pursue something I was passionate about.  I also would like to maybe own a bike shop some day so this was a good chance to learn more about the industry. Finally , I had the chance to learn how to fix almost every little thing on my bike..
2 years later I can say mission accomplished and although I am only a sophomore level mechanic , I know enough to get my bike moving and get back on the trail.
These skills all helped me become a better Tour Divide racer and I realized if I wanted to accomplish my goal I was going to have to reinvent myself more dynamically.
So I started commuting to work daily. 30 mile days gave way to 50 mile days gave way to 80 mile days gave way to 110 mile days and then back to back 110 mile days. Eventually doing 3 centuries a week!
Almost a year to the day after leaving the desert I competed in a friendly distance challenge with some friends and rode over 2000 miles in one month.
That month felt like one long journey. But I learned alot.. I learned saddle sores can heal while u rider.  I learned truly what my body could do.
That following August I returned to the Trans north Georgia race besting all my time splits. That ride ended up being a fail and I learned a valuable pair of lessons.
Lesson 1: ultra racing is a selfish endeavor you can't babysit and you can't be babysat; it wears you out mentally and slows you down.
Lesson 2: don't eat anything you aren't used to eating; I was sick all day and eventually I ended up puking my brains out. Disastrous finish but I climbed well and the legs felt good.
That November the cross Florida individual time trial was my next test and I was able to wipe doubt from my heart.  I broke my personal 24 hour off road distance record and a personal route record of 250 miles in a little over 25 hours. That effort netted me a 5th place finish in a field of seasoned competitors.
The result was a grand reward and I spent the next few windy winter months training hard. I pushed my limits and rode another into another fifth place in the HuRaCaN 300. I bested my 24 hour off road distance by ten miles and finished the route in a little over 28 hours.
The month's following involved more riding and now I am sitting in a Canmore coffee shop ready and set to attack this route to the best of my ability. 
The previous races taught me many important lessons. Having good results built up my confidence. Having friends and family supporting me helped me be mentally stronger and on June 14th I will put it all out there in an efficient and calculated manor with the sole intention of making it to Mexico and slaying this dragon.
I dedicate this race to my Mother, my brothers, my sons and my step daughters. I dedicate it to my love Edith. I dedicate to all my friends who have supported me unconditionally.
This one is for all of you, watch me shred!!!!

On a final note...If you have ever been inspired and want to sponsor my ride, look on the side bar, click divide ride fund.  And buy me a drink a meal a hotel room. (If you prefer pay pal Id is arihura009@AOL.com)
If not then friend me on Facebook at http://facebook.com/singletracksamurai and give me moral support.  This will be a challenge of a life time and I will need all the support I can get.

May the shred be with you,
The NaKeD InDiaN

2 comments:

Marsha said...

You Inspire me to be a better rider/person.

BIGWORM said...

Give it hell, Karlos! I wish you all the luck you may need, and all the patience you may muster.

I hope the ride brings all the epic you can handle.

I'll be checking in on the race website, to see how you're doing.