Thursday, June 06, 2013

So I RoDe My BikE to ThE EveRGLaDes Final!!!

     I could hear the shower running.  My host had left for work and their son was still there in the shower.  I would need the bathroom before I left so I waited.  I believe that young man took the longest shower I have ever heard anyone take.  I got tired of waiting in bed so I made up my place of sleep, folded everything, got dressed and once he was out, it was not even 10 minutes before I bid my farewells and pedaled off.

    This part of the route was flexible for me.  I wanted to get to the coast to rejoin my gpx and at the same time, get some coffee, get some food.  So with the help of google I found a Starbucks and then found a burger king and indulged in a huge meal.

    The traffic was crazy on the way to the coast, I had to hit a couple of windows and wake some people up that were just not good at handling cyclist.  Once I got to the coast the bike paths were beautiful,
the coast wonderful and the riding on the road included a sweet bike lane.  It was pretty much perfect riding all day with a tailwind to boot and I easily made my next  host in Boyton Beach.




  I got there a few hours before he was out of work.  I helped myself to the pool in the complex and charged my electronics once the afternoon storm rolled thru.  It was nice to see my friend again, it had been years.  We went to the grocery store and he cooked a magnificent meal and I got wasted drunk on rum and listened to his stories of debauchery, he is a wise dood and has had lots of very interesting experiences.

     The next morning I was off again, this time my destination was west palm beach.  I again found a Starbucks, and then headed off to The Bicyclery to hang out with old friends.  I got there early so I hung out at the shop all day, fixed my leaky front wheel and ate pizza that Tom had bought.  Since I work at a shop it was funny listening to the same conversations I have at my shop happening a couple of hundred miles south.

     My friend Bryan gave me a lift further north to Lynn Daniels place where I had another party and feast and settled into bed, with a full belly and good beer buzz.

     The next morning Lynn dropped me off at the Amtrak Station where I loaded up my bike and rode the train to kissimmee where my original Travel partner Bob came and got me in my truck, completing my successful summer vacation trip/Cross Florida North To south Segment scouting.  All went amazingly well and I have to say the trip was a success.  The train ticket was 29$ and when I finished my trip(original budget 200$) I still had enough money to fill up my gas tank for the drive home.

By far a wonderful experience.

Take Care,

NK2013

No comments: