Sunday, June 10, 2007

Dangerous words and the Tsali 12 hour recap






Just recently the team took a trip up to North Carolina to participate for the third year in a row in the Tsali 12 hour Mountain bike race.
The warriors of Bikeworks lined up and fought a hard 12 hour battle. As one of the reporters of the team, I can tell you first hand that each team member and participating rider put their heart and soul into the race. Unfortunately, this year did not bring us a three peat with a victory. However, it should be noted, that there were successes.
The Sport team turned out some of the fastest laps that any of those riders have ever done at that race. Tony turned out more miles off road that day then he probably ever has in his life. He completed 4 laps in the 12 hour period for his team. Personally I turned out the fastest laps I have ever had in comparison to the previous year’s times.
Our sport team turned out 14 laps, that is a little over 140 miles in the 12 hour time period good enough for 5th place. Bikeworks Orlando one completed 12 laps in the allotted time scoring a 6th place finish, successfully defeating 19 other teams that showed up to do battle. Our only 3 man beginner team did eleven laps and finished 12th beating out 13 other teams that day.
I guess the gauntlet has been thrown and the challenge is for next year for team Bikeworks to regain a Tsali 12 hour title. My confidence is high that the team will deliver a win in 2008. The team is stronger then ever, faster then ever and smarter then ever, the Florida state championship series should really shape up to be a dramatic one.
Big thanks to our sponsors and supporters for all the spiritual, physical and financial support and encouragement. The fun and the opportunities our team has are surely appreciated.

On another note, the Sunday after the race, as I watched the team leave camp, I stayed an extra day to enjoy the area. I uncovered a 5 mile downhill run that is right next to the parking lot that I had to poach and conquer. My top speed was 33 mph. The scary part is that’s only 3 mph faster than my single-track max downhill speed from the race the previous day!! We were also invited to a hike that started from the camp to the Appalachian Trail (aka the A.T.). Well, of course I went with the intention of going there taking a picture and hiking back to camp. Well, after several creek crossing and some light mountain climbing we reached the A.T. 6 miles later. That’s when I was informed that it was only one more mile to the Natahala Outdoor center, were we could have lunch and plenty of drinks. Needless to say, feeling a little deceived, I completed the 7 mile hike with much pride and accomplishment. The entire time, all I could think about was how challenging it would be to do the entire A.T. by mountain bike. I brought it up at lunch, and I was quickly explained, that not only would it be difficult, it’s illegal. Wow, The ultimate trail poaching of the century, the A.T. by Mountain bike. Dangerous words indeed considering that it’s a federal crime.

O well, till next time, stay smooth, stay fast and wash…

No comments: