Monday, June 11, 2007

Sunday Secret trail ride


Yesterday, Sunday, June 10th I decided to go for a solo ride. Circumstance and thunderstorms led me to riding by myself ignoring my training schedule which clearly said off road or on road group ride. Regardless, I decided to go to the secret trail since almost half of the 6 mile trail is technically uphill and I had to test the newest set up that I had put together and I need to climb as much as possible before July 22nd.
Well, I had originally purchased a complete raleigh XXI + G a bad ass black and red machine made of steel and hardcore raw unadultarated energy. And in Tsali and my other previous rides, I did enjoy its descending ability. However, the bike left something to be desired in the uphill department. Mainly, cause, although it is bulletproof, this feature does not come without some weight penalties.
Eventually, after some long internal discussions with the self, I searched and found a 29er frame that boasted a 3 lb weight, for my size 16in, with carbon fiber seat stays and scandium. Long story short, I purchased the Salsa Mamasita and it now sits firmly planted under my backside. From now on and for the purpose of future referance it will be called Da Bitch.
So just as recent as yesterday I swapped the tires from the 2.3 exiwolfs it came with to my old Panaracer 45c cyclocross tire. It made the bike considerablly lighter, and I was eager to test it.
Well I went to the secret trail and the first three miles were pretty nauseating. I think Ramen noodles is not a good pre ride food. The last 9 miles were great and I really started banking the turns and cutting up the single track. The second lap, I decided to do some strength training and ride the entire loop in one gear. But it was not all work on this sunday, I did decide to take a lil pic of one of the vistas from the trail.
Overall, I think the tires will work till I buy something a lil bigger before the ORAAM in July. It held good in the corners, hard to pedal in the soft dirt, but held up while climbing in the standing position.
Ok, stay posted.

laters,
LOS

No comments: