Sunday, January 06, 2008

The One Fitty

First things first, I am a strange person.
I want to continue my January tradition that I have done for several years.
I want to do 3 Fitties.

Well, a person that goes by the handle "G"that posts on several web boards, organized a fifty mile group ride to make up for missing San Felasco; at a place called the Wilderness Trails.
Being;
like I said;
a strange person;
I plotted to do the ride today, to be the first person in the state to complete a Four Fitty. So thanks G for the excellent idea.

What follows is an actual/factual account of today's and two thousand eight's first: The One Fitty.

OK, I thought about it.

The top ten names this ride should be called instead of the WT50:

10. The flat as f**k 50.
9. The sh*tty sandy crappy and rooty 50.
8. The not so nifty 50.
7. The Skrewt50 (as named by Jeff)
6. The screw you guys 50.(some guy named Chris, correct me if I am wrong)
5. The Renegade 50.
4. The Three kings 50. (today was three kings day.)
3. The Ridiculous Ride
2. The Not Fun 50 mile Run.
and the number one title for the ride other than the WT50.
1. Karlito's Way.

OK, enough already!

The day, was nice, foggy and chilly, with super light sprinkles in the air. Dave and I showed up on time, with Jeff pulling in right after we did. Mike was already there. Now, if I remember correctly, Mike gave me props for being one of the few, the proud and in my opinion the ignorant, for racing my cross bike at the trail to trail, not once but twice. Regardless, it was really nice to finally meet the man and I got to say, Mike and Jimmy are two of the nicest people I have met this year.

I'm a keep this brief. I had secretly made a pact with myself to ride this entire 50 miler in the big ring and push the hardest gears I could for five hours. I figured it would be excellent strength training. And my personal goal was accomplished. Riding the standard big ring I successfully pushed the hard gear for the entire ride. The average combo was 3 in the front with 5 in the back. The last Twenty miles I was more in 3 in front and 4 in the back. But for the whole ride, The biggest combo I rode in was 3 and 9 when I countered the Snow Man's(aka Dave) sprint attack towards the end of the first 25 miles. The Smallest was 3 in the front and 2 in the back and that was right at this small uphill in the end and thru the miserable rooty sections.

It was good times and great company. The first 25 miles was spectacular, but around mile 30, I started feeling the effects of my Big Ring mission. Regardless, I hung in there and finished the ride.

Everyone was riding strong, them dudes know how to haul ass at this place, so they were making me chase, which was even better. It proved to be an additional training skill practice. Towards the end of the ride, I was lacking motivation to keep riding. Frankly, I started growing bored of the terrain. Eventually Jeff and I rolled in 15 minutes or so behind Dave and Mike. Jimmy got lost. But completed the fifty regardless.

It was a cool ride. And the place is super popular. But I seriously doubt I will do fifty there again. I think next year we can do the Santos Fifty as the One Fitty for the year. You in G?

Unfortunately, the day did claim victims. Towards the end of the ride, I started noticing some severe creaking coming from the headset area. I spent a good amount of ride time thinking about that. When I got back in O town I called the Manager of Bikeworks West in Orlando and all around good friend and one of the few people I will let work on my bike, Brian. He suggested I come to the shop and we take a look at it. To make a long story short, the stem was what was making that awful sound. I broke it. I think. O and my bike tire is like, warped. Not the rim, the rubber. Weird.

Anyways,

Felasco is next!

Laters...

No comments: