Monday, January 21, 2008

The Tree Fitty: The IdidaRide

21 minutes into the ride I'm already thinking of a good excuse to stop and go back to the truck and basque in the warmth of the heater.

To describe the conditions in one word on this day: Miserable. To describe the event in one word: Ordeal. To Finish the ride regardless of all that happened, described in one word: Priceless.

As soon as I got close to White Springs Florida for this years Ididaride, it was raining and raining good. Steady, Cold and wet, a deadly combination as I checked in and and got back to the truck to begin the ride. The Day started of magically enough with my truck getting stuck in the mud at the designated parking spot. Followed by a small lecture in the cold rain from a stranger telling me you should never drive thru stuff like that. Heck, it looked like a lawn to me, How was I supposed to know it was a muddy trap. Well, I was smart about it, I didn't stress and got right to my preparations for the day. I wore, my wool surly cap, my long sleeve wool shirt, my Bikeworks cycling jersey, with my new Nike wool cycling shirt on top ending the ensemble with my one and only rain jacket. On the bottom just some shorts, some tights and the warmest wool socks I have.

Note to self, I am prepared for Florida Cold. And I am prepared for Florida wet. But I am, as I discovered NOT prepared for Florida wet and cold. It is a deadly combination that I have never had the wonderful opportunity to encounter. And yea, it SUCKED just as bad as you think it would. I definitely need to invest in some proper technology to avoid the suffering I endured on this day because my lack of technological advancement for the conditions.

Regardless. If I am treating this as a training ride, and I am preparing for future events. If I encountered these conditions in a race, I would of rode on, so that is what I did. I sucked it up and went for it. Not even one second was I out of the truck that my feet were soaking wet. Yea, total bummer.

The first 8 miles were on a muddy, puddle strewn fire road. Slogging thru it and the resistance on the pedals felt as if I was going uphill for 8 miles. It was awful, but I was putting the hammer down, cause I wanted to get in front of as many people as possible to avoid any traffic jams in the single track. Out of the 300 people that registered, I would say 100 to a little over that amount showed up. At the first rest stop, I usually would of rolled on but I stopped. I had noticed for the past eleven miles or so, I could not feel my feet or my toes. I was a little concerned. So I thought for a second and said to myself W.W.J.D.(What would Jay Petervary do?)? If you don't know who that is, check in the blog list that I read. Anyways, I figured I would just walk around and tap my toes while I ate some crackers and cheese and drank some Gatorade. As soon as I got feeling back in my feet, I immediately jumped on the bike and started rolling again.

Luckily the rain had stopped and was only coming in sparse drizzles. At each rest stop I kept repeating the routine from the previous stops. Each time I stopped I was cold and would feel better after I got rolling and back in the cold spring water if you can understand the analogy.

I had started eating my happy food early(gummy worms and skittles) cause I was just not having a good time on the bike. No matter how hard I rode, my legs still felt like bricks I was not able to get warmed up so to speak as I am used to happening after 10 or so miles on the trails. Regardless, I pressed on and immediately after lunch I started the part that I called the fun section. I was cruising just making great time, finally starting to have some fun and enjoying the day. I made it to just past the overlook section where you can stop and see the Suwanee river pouring over some rocks and roaring in its full glory, before something I have never ever experienced on a bike happened.

Earlier, I started noticing that my tire tread was wobbling. Same thing happened at the Flat Fitty I did earlier this year. I had put on a different small block 8 on the back after that happened and never even thought twice about it. In fact, the same thing that happened there was happening again, but I had no real explanation for it so I just kept riding. Now I had left my tires pumped up super high, 40lbs plus, because although I knew it would be a uncomfortable in the technical terrain, I also knew from riding lots of cross that it would give me better traction in the mud.

Right around mile 33, riding thru one of my most favorite trails of the ride, my rear tire EXPLODES. It was something out of NASCAR. I thought for sure that someone was shooting at me. I dismounted and took a peek and noticed that my rear tire had a six inch gash where the sidewall met the bead and there was no way to repair it, so I started hiking. Ten minutes into my glorious single track hike, three riders stopped and asked me what was going on. I explained what happened. As I was explaining, one of the guys noticed that my helmet said "Naked Indian" and he took a minute to tell me he read my blog and liked it. I thanked him cause it was very nice to hear, and we continued, coming to the same assessment I had made, that it was unrepairable. So I encouraged them to ride on, thanked them again.

I walked a long time in the single track. Along time on Double Track and a Long time in the single track again. All the while, having to tell my story again and again, to all the nice people who kept asking. Even though it got a little irritating to tell the story, I really appreciated every one's concerns.

After walking about 4 miles, I stopped, looked up at the sky and asked if it could really get any worst. And it did. It started raining harder then it have ever rained that day. Thunder and lightning the whole nine yards. But just as that started to happen, A rider rolled up. Now I didn't recognize him right away, but I did recognize his bike. I had noticed him and his wife had Ti Custom Seven Cycles and his wife was on a 29er. His name was Bob Lamberson. Apparently, Bob had made it to the wine and cheese rest stop. Told the mechanic what was going on, and the mechanic responded that he had received many reports of the walking rider, but he had no way to get back there to help. Well, Bob thought that was "Crap", and volunteered to ride the distance back to bring me a tire. And sure enough there he was, saying "There you are, and I got a tire for you!" Mentally, I had made the resolution that I would walk to that next stop, get a tire and finish the ride, but for a couple of seconds I was stunned to the level of kindness and generosity that he had uninvitingly displayed to me. I mean, I don't know this man from a stranger, yet he made it possible for me to be saved from a continued torturous stroll in the elements and literally just in time. I could not find a way to thank him enough. And realistically that's one the nicest things a stranger has done for me in a very long time. I changed the tire, he strapped the old one to his back, and as it poured and stormed, we mounted our bikes and started hammering to the next stop. I quickly noticed that all that walking had done nothing for my riding legs as it was a slow sluggish feeling in my legs, but I was still trying to put down the hardest effort I could since the weather had turn from worst to HeLLAFIED. I was noticing Bob was pulling away from me and he was too. And anytime he would, he would slow down till I caught up. We finally made it out of the woods and hit a road section and I made it a point to get in front of him to block the wind, I figured it was the least I could do. We got some wine and started hammering back. We were on a fire road at first so I was mashing the big ring, then we hit some single track and I am still pushing as hard as I can, then we hit a couple of steep ten foot tall climbs and little do I know, I'm still pushing the same gears as I was pushing on the flat fire road. So I immediately, shift to the middle ring and start feeling a little better. As we finish the single track and hit a rocky climb that I know leads to the road, I see, that Bob hangs a left but the arrows say straight. Now I know Bob has already done plenty of extra riding, so I continue to follow the arrows, cause I want to get my entire ride in at all costs.

I arrive at the end, really cold and really wet, a little after Bob did, happy to be done and in the warmth. I immediately take off all my tops, and put on the long sleeve shirt I received for riding that day. It felt really good to finally be out of the elements and eating some warm food. I sat down with Bob and his wife and ate some food. Turns out, he is from Tennessee and he will be racing at lot of the NUE Races that I will be at. So luckily I will see him again.

Rough day, and a rough ride, but in the end it turned out great. I still had to drive home in horrible weather and when I got home it was still there, but I was thankful I finished the ride and didn't lose any toes in the process.

Unfortunately, as I type this I sit in bed with a cold, a result I figure from the ride. Bummer, for real, considering that since I made all my lifestyle changes in 07(i.e. no fast food, no meat, no soda) I have not been sick till now. I guess, the 16 hour day I spent doing Endurance cable on Friday, didn't help, my Saturday either. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Hopefully, I will feel well enough for my next challenge on the 27Th. We will have to see...
The back of the shirt, best Idida shirt so far!!

The Front of the shirt

Laters,

LOS

2 comments:

EL SandPine said...

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry about your ordeal. :-) Very good reading. I am glad you were able to finish the ride. I think it was my buddy Morrison who recognized you out of those three riders who first stopped with you. See you at Croom.

Luis G. said...

Horrible, just horrible. I'm thinking a different rear tire is the way to go for Cohutta...