Thursday, August 12, 2010

The PaPaKai ToUr ParT 2

We waited, ate, and chatted while the storm soaked the earth. I looked at the Weather Map on my Droid and saw that we had a good clear line down the middle, in between the storms. I figured if we moved out now, and kept a high pace, we should be to get there without a soaking.

So, we mounted up and rolled out.

3 miles later as we approached Oviedo, Kailan said his rear tire was flat and at the stop light confirmed it.

I noticed that the storms that were on both side of us had closed in pretty quick and as the soaking started again, we made shelter under the carport of a church.

I went right into repairing the flat, concerned that I had got a flat to begin with, and how I was about to use my last tube.

The Storm Raged long after the repair. Not interested in getting a soak, we waited. I thought it was best.

While Kai played his DSI I cat napped on the rug. TOOK such a delicious rest, such a deep slumber in such a short time. 40 minutes later the storm stopped and we began the Cross Seminole bike trail.

3 more miles later, Kai's rear tire explodes.

DAMN!!!

I pull out my droid and do a gps location based search for a bicycle shop. I find there is one off trail about a mile, call and get directions and I tow him on the rim till we get there.

At the shop, I discovered that the rear tire popped cause the tread was separating. I bought two tubes and a new tire, mounted it all, the guy was nice enough to give me some patches and we were off.

I thought the adversity was over, but then the rain storm hit.

Regardless, I was pushing the pedals and actually keeping a faster pace then the day before. I had adjusted to the 120 lb extra pull and I was literally flying. Even with the soaking, I was still making great time. I gave Kai my sunglasses to protect his eyes from my poisonous rooster tail.

With 3 miles left disaster struck as we made a tight corner and Kai collided with a bike trail cement Island, landing on his chest and sliding on his face. Luckily He was not hurt, just a little bruised on his shoulder and we were off again.

We arrived into Lake Mary. Hit the Publix to get out of the wet clothes. I was proud of Kai's ingeniousness to dry his socks as he wrapped them in paper towels and pressed them.

We emerged dipped in our street clothes and pushed the bike to Papa Joe's to enjoy a meal.

We ran into some friends and we all went and watched "The Other Guy's". When we finished we were all sitting having coffee or coffee drinks, when Kai asked our friend for a ride home.

We had about 28 miles left and one more night of camping, but the last thing I wanted to do was FORCE Kai to do it. So since he requested it, we went home that night, arriving around 1130 pm.

It was a fun tour. I got to practice my speed mechanic skills. Got to practice my ingenuity and problem solving skills and got to spend time with my son. The good news is, he wants to go on another tour and like always, I am already cooking up a plan.

What a blessing it is to be able to tour by bike.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

2 comments:

The Wild Solo American said...

Karlos really enjoy you story's,I read every word soon as you put them up. I can't till I can go on a adventure Bikepacking with. I was thinking of Bikepacking to one or more of the FSC races. My first race is the 8 Hours of Labor in Gainville.I have to work every weekend except on race days. Lets kick some idea's around and see what we can come up with. I'm open for any type ride, road, offroad, both let me know what you think. If not I go solo.

David Muse said...

Great story. I hope I can do something like that with my girls some day.