Tuesday, August 31, 2010

you Tell Me

So in a couple of days I feel like I am finally ready, as ready as I will be to step up and do something I have spent countless hours preparing to do.

When I reflect, I see how much time, money and effort I have put into this Bikepacking/self supported racing thing, and now its time to make it happen.


I do not have the luxuries that some of you do. I cannot simply pick up and go. I have Children to consider, and I really had to go into full planner mode to make it so my 10 year old could be taken care of and get to school and back while I am gone for a week maybe more. I am after all a single dad...

Admittedly, emotionally, once again I have been given what seemed an insurmountable challenge. The changes at work, affected me physically and deeply brought back some deep harbored feelings of rejection that I thought I had shook.

It felt as if a fatal wound had been re opened and for a moment there I thought for sure, I was lost. Finally ready to run away to some Mountain Town and claim my life as an Perpetual Earth walker.

You name it, in the past 1 and a half months it has happened to me. Job loss, emotional pain, car stolen, mortgage issues, etc, etc...

One right after the other, often on top of each other, creating a perfect storm of disastrous life changing events. I wont even go into the details.

All the while, I was at work, crawling under trailers, in hot attics, up and down ladders, etc, etc, 12 hour days almost every single work day.

But, I persevered.

Like a warrior should.

I remember about a year ago someone teased my warrior ethos, but they just don't get it. That is my philosophy on life. I believe if I still existed in a tribe of my people I would be on a pony defending my clan.

I have no wars to fight, so I go out and create feats for myself.

I literally have spent the past 4 days sharpening my sword.

My sword being my bike.

I have spent the past four days, picking out my battle regalia. Going through every piece with a fine tooth combed, making easy decisions.

I call them easy because the job is simple. I will eat, I will ride, and I will sleep. That's it. That right there helped me prioritize the amount of gear that I REALLY NEED for a 4 day adventure. I am on a mission.

My goal is simple. I don't even have a mileage goal any longer. I want to ride, all day, till a little past dark, then get up at daylight and do it again. That's it. However far I go is however far I go, I will stop and smell the roses and I will not ignore any naps under trees. That is of course till I reach Dalton...What happens at Dalton? Well, you will just have to see.

While I ride from one side of the Great State of Georgia to the other, I am on a battle to conquer my own mental weakness. I can pedal that far. I can pedal that long. I got the strength in my body, and the ability. BUT, mentally I am a P****Y.

I am being hard on myself, but that is the truth. That is where the true war will be, in my HEAD. Every time I have given up, its been because of it and its horrible advice.

So, its time. It's time to make all my hard work and testing pay off.

See you other brave souls on the start line.

Have your stuff together. Its going to be a blast. I will find a way to enjoy every single lesson that the creator will teach me on this journey.

Even though I pedal through them mountains alone, I have not made it to the line alone.

There are so many people who have helped me along the way. When I reflect I have some beautiful spirits in my life and I dedicate this ride to all who have helped me reach the level I am at, I could not have done it alone.

I hope through my self imposed challenges and adventures that I share That I have brought some inspiration to some of you. That through me you see hope and you see in all my crazy feats a glimmer that with desire and drive you can do so much.

Its been one hell of a journey folks and its far from over.

Stick around will ya,

take care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

1 comment:

Sean Crichton said...

Good luck, dude. Have fun... that's what its all about.