Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The PaPaKai TouR

I dreamt this up in March.

I was thinking of things I could do with my boys.

Unfortunately LiL NI was not available, but LIL'r NI was.

I got on the bikepacking forum and asked about tow ropes and over time the plan festered and developed little by little.

I had a route in mind, a route that would have some backwoods, but plenty of civilization and destinations to keep him goal oriented.

Eventually, the weekend was penciled in on the calendar and it was time to be off adventuring as Father and Son.

I wanted to bring a tow rope to spare him the pain of pedaling farther then he had ever pedaled all year, let alone his life, let alone on a bike that would be heavier then what he was used too.

PLUS, I knew we were going to have to ride some BUFF singletrack on the first morning to traverse the Econolokohatchee forest and I knew he would need his strength.

In theory I have enough bikepacking gear for three people to go bikepacking. And a starter kit is not expensive, nor hard, just takes a little imagination.

I loaded Kai's bike Light. Mine's was not even that much heavier.

I gave Kai my Mini Newt and I used the Stella and we rolled out Friday evening ready to adventure.

We both chose our riding outfits. My plan was one riding outfit each. We both had a set of Civilian attire and we both had toilettries, swimsuits, raincoats and towels.

I have a completely different philosophy then the average person. My TNGA set up wont be much different then this minus the street wear. I actually rode Chamoisless this ride as the experiments continue and I completed the tour without a single chaff or sore.

Not even 3 miles away from the house we had to turn and go back. By that point, Kailan had decided He would accept the tow rope and we were starting to groove till his Bottom Brackett seized up.

This of course was not his fault as I have NEVER put a bottom bracket in that bike since I purchased it in 2005.

I had a back up bike, and had to switch all the gear and the seat, etc. Many times this weekend I felt like the Domestique as I was the lead mechanic and the main PULL for the team.

The swap was done and before we knew it we had Cleared Section 1.

The section was only 8 miles long, but I broke it into sections so Kailan could better wrap his mind around the challenges that lay ahead. It worked. At stop one we got water, and then continued on to section 2 which was another6 miles or so. Each section included one big climb and although I was towing him, He was required to pedal to assist up the inclines. As it was, it was taking some pedal power to keep us both moving. Towing 120 lbs is not easy.

After section two we consumed liquid calories and finished off the final part of the trip including the 1/2 mile of off road riding we had to do to get up by the river camping spot.

After a bit of searching I found a good spot, but in the end it worked out better for Kai as my hammock set up didnt turn out to be so optimal. The night we spent in the woods was as restless as the first night I spent out there. The whole night the Forest was alive with movement and often it sounded like footsteps. The chances I did get to close my eye, I would awake startled. Kailan and I pretty much spent the night, restless, barely sleeping, waiting for the sun to rise.

At first light we were both up, ready to haul ass, frustrated over the weirdness of the forest.

I made Kai pack his clothes and show him how to roll up his handlebar bag, as I did all the hard work once again of loading up two hammocks and packing up my own gear. We got on the road and began the hard traverse of the white trail. The white trail in Econolokahatchee will kick anyone's ass, and not soon long into the trail I was wondering what in the heck I was thinking bringing Kai's very unpracticed ass down such a buff trail.

Eventually, after noticing and hearing how hard he was cracking I became more active in helping him. I would help him to remount, tell him to dismount and hike, and on we went for 1.5 miles till he was able to finally plop his ass down up against a tree and rest.

For a brief moment I thought we should pull the plugg and head down some doubletrack out of there, but the double track was worst than the singletrack with the lack of traction. So I told him he had to HTFU and we continued on to the swim spot. He actually was able to ride a lot more and the entire ride to the Swim spot we hiked less, even though we still hiked quite a bit.

At the swim hole we swam and recharged and then had another hard fought battle in the forest.

Kailan was close to an emotional breakdown, smoked, just completely taxed, when I pulled out the tow rope and started pulling his ass out the forest. At one point we lost the trail, and I followed the GPS arrow towards the closest road which was taking us down an ancient double track with tall willow like shrubbery that was gently ripping at our ankles. Even when we hiked I biked I was towing him, and before we knew it, we emerged on to that road.

I thought for sure Kai would collapse at that point. Google Maps Droid App indicated McDonald's was close and as soon as we hit the pavement Kailan demanded that we continued on, "let's go". At that moment I felt such a great sense of pride. Seeing him going from Resting his head on the bars, tears welling up his eyes, to conquering the very buff singletrack that had brought him almost to tears. Not only conquering but demanding that we Charge ahead to BRUNCH.

While we sat and ate at McDonald's, I let him in on the news that we only had covered 7 miles, we still had at least 20 more to go. Just as I said this the Sky opened up and a storm started raging. Kai didnt even flinch as he knew very well, that those 20 plus miles would be on the rope.

Part 2, tomorrow.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: