Sunday, January 16, 2011

RoCk SpRinGs

The Huracan Ride is fast approaching and I am still finalizing the mindor details of some of the sections. Adding a Little more singletrack to keep things fun ya know.

So I set out to do the Rock springs section with more singletrack then before.

If you have kept up lately, Rob and I went out with LILr NI to map this but got rained out within minutes of beginning. This time I was solo, and there was no rain.

I set out and before I knew it the quick cadence from my single speed spin had delivered me to the Rock Springs trail head. After a little fire road assault, I was treated to sweet twisty track reminiscent of Croom or Boyette's quadrants.

A wrong turn, here, a little backtrack there and I was at the place where I was planning to do the river crossing on this years ride.

I crossed the river, easy enough, got to the other side and the nightmare began. I was super lost. For a long while wondered and tried to keep my wits as I was bushwacking thru the thick saw grass palmetto.

I immediately summoned up all I have learned in survival books and programs.
Pick a fixed point....
Try to follow the shore line.....
Eventually I found a clear spot, and took some time to clear my thoughts.

I pulled out my droid and brought up the satellite maps and guesstimated a direction and did my best to follow game trails and wallah, I was out of the woods onto a forest road.

Relief....

I did several loops to figure out the lay out, and then set off back on route, riding fast and enjoying the undulating single track.

As whereas I had started my ride in Sanford, one river crossing and some trail navigation later, I was in Apopka.

The rest of the ride was a road ride. Keeping my tempo quick I stopped to drink some coffee and eventually made it back to the car enjoying each pedal stroke along the way. It had been a beautiful ride and great way to kick of 2011.



Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: