Saturday, April 09, 2011

MeThOd MaN

Its Sunday Morning and I was craving miles.

Usually I am the constant planner. Looking at maps, tracing GPS routes and loading them onto my GPS unit. A Benefit of doing all the mapping I have done in the years is that now, I don't even worry too much, I kind of just go for it.

So after discussing with the clan what the plan was for the day, I decided I would get ahead start and meet them at the Marineland destination.

I had no route, but looking over the google maps on my Droid showed tons of promise. There is lots of green space and I am thinking I can make a northern dirty route soon (note to reader, this is how it starts, I look at a Map I see something I get an idea and I put it all together) Possibly pedal all the way to Jacksonville, now wouldn't that be clever.

Anyhow. I decided miles is what I wanted and I didn't have time nor the equipment with me to make an elaborate gpx track, so I told my Droid I wanted to use walking GPS guided directions to get to Marineland.

The response required 48 miles of foot travel at a ridiculous 22 hour estimated walk time, I could make it in less that four.

Rob, when he came back from California, gifted me a portable speaker with a built in MP3 holder that I Carbine clip to my bars. Pretty nifty thing cause it allows me to enjoy my music without having to use headphones. Since My droid is a capable droid, I can listen to my music and he will interrupt to give me GPS guidance.

I set out so happy to be on the bike. The air and the sky where perfectly clear. It was a slice of heaven by the minute. Not even 2 miles down the road, my rear tire deflates rapidly.

I inspect. Flip the bike. Remove the wheel. Take out the tube. Do what I think is a thorough visual and a thorough glove rub inside the tire to try and solve the flat issue. I find nothing, put in the new tube. Inflate the tire, flip the bike, get on and go. I flat again not even 1/4 mile later and I have no more tubes left.

Wow, I'm gonna have to call Edith to come get me two miles from her house??? Nah, I remember I bought a blue tool instant patch kit. They are stickers like the specialized ones and they got lousy reviews on the Internet. I found the hole, followed the instructions, and applied the pre glued patch. I TOOK THE TIRE of the rim and reinspected and found a HUGE piece of Glass. Why didn't I see this the first time??? Cause I didn't take the tire of the rim. Lesson Learned, going forward, when I flat with a tube, take the tire off the rim and inspect.

I removed the glass and I hauled ass.

And the patch worked. In fact, its still in there and working. Gonna buy more, I got like twenty tubes to patch, LMAO!!!

As I rolled along the on the Droids route that was laced with goats and horses, sky lines and small hills, the pavement gave way to dirt. A smile stretched across my face as I crested a small hill and find a big blue lake to my left. This route was NICE! LOL What I work so hard to do, my droid does with precision in seconds.

After a mile or two I was back on Pavement. I settled into the Freddie's and summoned up some sweet Tempo. The music was playing, the weather was perfect and I was ticking away the miles in a very efficient fashion.

Next thing I know, I find a store. My GPS said Cody's Corner. I had been to this store once before Long ago, but I came from a completely different direction. I was craving a coke and some sugary snacks, but the store only took Cash and the door was locked anyhow. LMAO.

I refilled my bottles and saw that in 8 miles I was supposed to reach US1 which would definitely have supplies. No time to sweat the snacks, 8 miles was nothing and it was time to fly.

I reached the US1 store, got 2 bags of gummies, 2 cherry cokes and continued on down the road.

I guess this is my strategy for The Tour, the Race. Its not about actual super fast speed for me, cause I know full well I will not be hitting the start line with my dream level of fitness. The key for me to kicking the Tour Divide in the ass is in the words of the Routes name. I am going to Tour the Divide. Speed Tour. 150 miles a day, Its going to take a couple of days to get used too, but I cant imagine that I couldn't get used to it as long as I stay patient and realistic.
So in preparation, every little episode while on the bike is a chance for me to refine the evolution of my Ultra Riding experience.

As I made my way down the road, the droid told me to turn Right, but I didn't see a road to turn into. I back track after he Demanded a U Turn and found an old overgrown double track road. SWEET!!!

I end up in a Sub Division and a couple of miles more and I am only 7 miles away from my destination. The Droid alerted me that there was an upcoming Toll road and I didn't have cash. I stopped at the bank, and kept riding. I got closer to the bridge and spotted an assortment of blue and red lights. Apparently there had been an accident and they re routed traffic by passing the toll altogether.

I climbed the bridge, up and over, then connected to a sweet bike path, passing riders all the while finally arriving at the beach to Rum Runners a cool breeze and great company.

AWwwww, Success!!!

Laters,

The NaKed InDiaN

No comments: