Monday, April 18, 2011

TDG10 a DeCaDe Of ShReD!!!

The Tour De Gainesville is by far one of the coolest group rides/events in the state. It also features one of the best tight knit mountain bike communities in the state. It is unique and special in so many ways, that I am not surprised that its been around for 10 years.

If you are a Naked Indian Follower/Fan/Friend you know my usual Modus Operandi, I went to bed Late on Friday and got up Early Saturday to head up to Reddick I 75 exit and meet up with Rob.

Got there a little late, unfortunately, but It the first time I was taking out the bike and I had stayed up late getting it ready. I may have neglected to let everyone else know but I got a bike with donations from friends/family and fans. Pretty nice too. Not the bike I had wanted at first, but like Edith said, this bike picked me..LOL.

And in true Naked Indian fashion this was gonna be my first ride on it.

LOL, immediately, as soon as we were off the line, I wanted to be in the front group and I was easily able to be in the front group, but I noticed I was having serious fork issues. Eventually, I decided that it needed attention and I went off route to find a shop.

Found a shop we pumped it up, I left, and not even a mile later it was back where it was. Needless to say I was frustrated a brand new bike, first ride and I already having problems. BUT, I got caught up in race mode and doubled my efforts on the route, having to navigate and push till I finally started catching up to people.

And I did, I was in a group again, and on one particular downhill that had my front end clunking, I decided that I need to attempt a repair again. Rode to another shop to check for leaks as my phone support Broadus from bike works Orlando had suggested and I didn't find the leak but I did tighten the valve core. I kept going, only to have it deflate again. So, reluctantly after more singletrack I went to the lunch stop, and saw Brian at Bikes and More and he found the leak (loose top cap) and repaired it. After 4 or so hours of riding and resourcefulness and really touring the town of Gainesville I was now gonna finally be able to ride my bike and enjoy without concern or worry.

I had started the ride with barely any food and Rob gave me some to take. At lunch I decided to Calorie up and wait for Rob, Derek and David hoping to ride with them for a bit.

And we met up, and It was pretty cool, and we got going, but I found quickly enough, that My arms were so tired from riding super buff with a bottomed out fork, I Felt fatigue in them like I had been ripping curls at the gym. The lack of sleep, the low initial start of calories was taking its toll and although we rode together for a bit, I told Rob to push on without me.

But I kept going and rode some of the most beautiful terrain that I had ridden in a while. And before long I came upon the final off road loop, and decided to go backwards so I could ride towards other riders and not long after that I made the finish, happy to be done, happy I persevered, coming away with some valuable lessons that day.

I had a blast!!!

Thanks Bobo and to all of the Gainesville MTB Community and to Brian at Bikes and More, support them, very generous folks indeed...

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: