Monday, April 11, 2011

SuRpRisE SinGleTraCK

I made a challenge with myself to get on my bike everyday and ride for 30 days. So far so good I reckon, but I still don't feel like I am making the time I need to make to get some serious distance in.

Its Sabotage having to work for a living, but regardless, I am not going to cry, I will just do my best.

Saturday was spent entertaining LiL'r NI, Saturday Eve was spent hanging out with Edith, adventuring with a Tappas Meal and the Florida Film Festival. I always wanted to learn about Bobby Fischer and I am now an expert on the history of that entire Debacle.

Sunday was a lazy start. The hours at work are getting to me. I must have some sort of internal stress accumulating, cause after a great day spent at a Farm with food and loved ones, I found the motivation difficult to throw on my Superman outfit and go pedal for a few hours.

But, I went through the motions and decided I would go check out this new conservation area that I spotted up the road a week or more ago.

I got there rather quickly, hit the kiosk grabbed a map. A quick scan of the map showed me that I had about 16 miles of trails I could ride if I rode all the loops, so I set off. I had already started a bit late, but before long I was pleasantly surprised by how sweet the terrain was.

Out there I found an abandoned cabin, super cool, then a cold water creek crossing, how rad is that. New gates, and tons of land to pedal. Twisty sweet track all before me.

But then as I crossed a tall bridge, I got a bit lost. I went through a gate, noticed after a few minutes that I was off track and returned to find the last marker that I had missed. As I made my way back to the tent, I could see off in the distance a dog charging towards me. Whoops, I must of just been on private property, let me get on the other side of this fence so this dog cant get me, and I kept going. I found the markers again. I sat there and put new batteries in my GPS, and I could hear voices off in the distance. Felt a little bad for disturbing them, whoops.

The markers were red and it was WAY dark, more then I expected, I knew that I couldn't navigate the rest of the trail without a light. I felt like a jack ass for not bringing my light. On top of that the GPS had shut off long before I noticed and I didn't have any easy way to back track so I was stuck using google maps and following satellite visible lines to attempt to figure out my self extraction from this predicament.

I pedaled along, checked my position. Got to an intersection, took a chance and finally found some markers. Wondered around for 30 minutes before figuring out that I was not on the right track and went with the yellow markers hoping I would figure out where I was and eventually after riding the powerlines for a long while I found a road that headed towards 415 and looked kinda familiar.

Down the road I went staying in the middle as it was pitch dark.

Before Long I reached an intersection I recognized and then shortly after I was back on the access road to the park.

Once I got on the road, I tucked deep into the freddies and maintained an 18 mph avg till I reached the house.

Although I got lost, I was still feeling pretty good about the adventure.

Monday after work, I had to have my rematch. This time I took my light and was able to further figure out the lay of the land and then some, I see tons of potential for this place.

How sweet it is to add more off road riding to my already extensive local routes.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: