Monday, October 01, 2007

The Grim Reaper of RAZORBACK: My first yellow wave experience.

This weekend I made my Yellow Wave debut at stop number two of the Florida State Championship series. I arrived around 4pm on Saturday, the whole ride up there it was raining, but when I got to Reddick, it was bone dry. Hey, I'm not complaining, I love Reddick, but its better with traction.

I brought the Beast, which is my Raleigh Single speed, and decided I would give the single speed class a go. Now I honestly think I'm a fast single speeder, but I was really given proof of the super human single speed level that can be obtained.

I camped out Saturday, brought all I needed and decided after much reflection to just blow up my air mattress and lay it on the floor and enjoy the open air sleeping experience. My pre ride was spectacular. I felt strong and fast and snappy and just plain dangerous on the bike. Got back to camp, watched the end of the Team Time Trial which proved to be a bit of a disaster to my team, but looked fun nonetheless, to see the other teams riding together and motivating each other. Eventually, after hearing about Osias Crash, and Chad's Crash, and Tony's ultimate show of sportsmanship, giving his front wheel away so that "O" could finish the lap, I showered up, cooked dinner and sat in my chair listening to some good ole Howard stern on the radio. After a couple of beers and preparing myself for the possibility of rain, I decided it was time for rest. I had the citronella candle right next to me and the bug spray on my left. During the night, anytime a bug bothered me I sprayed the area they were trying to get at. My rest was Ok, but I never really slept as good as I would have at home. I'm so used to sleeping on my tempurpedic mattress, that the air mattress was a little uncomfortable. In retrospect, I should have deflated it a little, maybe that would have prevented the lower back pain I experienced throughout the night.

I felt good in the morning. Got on the line and started noticing that the competitors I was racing against were a little more serious then I was. The one dude I lined up next too had a single speed full on carbon fiber hardtail, by default the thing must have weighed 18lbs. The whistle went off and I hung in there for a minute, then on the first climb watched the entire group just ride away from me. Admittedly, I was out classed by the competition.

I was OK with it. My legs had no juice for speed, but they had plenty of juice for a steady ride. So steady ride is what I did. I was passed many times and made sure, to get clear as soon as I heard someone coming. Just cause I was out for a leisurely Sunday ride, didn't mean anyone else was. At some point, I figure I must have been the DFL(dead F-word last) person of the yellow wave. Then something interesting started happening. I started passing people. Riders who were broke down with twisted wheels or flats. One guy that was walking around in small circles looking completely lost. Ryan Woodall, aka the Ryno, who apparently had the mystical magical two tire flat combo. One guy who I actually stopped and asked several times if he was OK, cause he was laying there bloody arm, surrounded by a dust cloud.

While I rode, I gave myself the nick name the "Grim Reaper". Truth be told, if you saw me during the yellow wave and I was passing you, chances are your race was done. And even funnier was, that none of the people I saw, did ever catch me again to cheat death so to speak. It was pretty amusing.

My team mate, Brian Hastings, got third place. Way to kick butt. Turns out, of all the racers from my team in the yellow wave, by just finishing, I managed the second best finish of the wave for my team. Heck, I guess my long haul enduro skills payed off in the end.

After, my team mates and I met at chili's where we enjoyed some good food and good conversation, it was a blast and I was glad I went.

My next race is Gainesville, which I love, where I will ride the Beauty aka the bitch, aka the mamasita.

Till next time, stay smooth, and stay fast, and wash that ass Sucka!

No comments: