Sunday, October 21, 2007

It's Official!

I broke my middle finger!


I have only broken three bones in my life and they all have been on my same right hand. Late in the 80's I got in a fight with a kid on the school bus and I punched him in the head and broke my knuckle bone that sits in front of my middle finger.

Early in the 2K, I was road riding down the cady way trail in Orlando. I was riding with my friend Alex. Well I knew the end of the trail was near and I decided to launch an attack to beat him to the finish line. So I start mashing and I got my head down doing a cool 26mph in the start of my attack, when I look up and smash right into a fence. I managed to turn at the last minute and deflect the impact into my handlebars and shoulders, but it eventually rebounded me off in a launched twisting motion towards the ground at a very high speed, landing on my wrist and upper back. Three month's later when the pain still had not gone away I went to the doctor and he told me that I broke a tiny little bone in my wrist and they would need to do surgery and install a titanium screw to repair it. Well six months later, I was healed but I lost some range of motion in the process.

Last Saturday. Saturday the 13Th of October 2007. I met up with my friend Magii and his friends and family and we went Canoeing down the Wekiva river. I was all about it and ready to have a good time. He told me that there was a rope swing and after ten minutes of paddling we were there. He promptly ascends the tree and swings away successfully. Looked fun. Looked dangerous. Both things I like. At first I was not interested but then my warrior spirit got the best of me and I was compelled to ascend the tree and prepare for the jump. Well, the view from the top, was scary as balls. But Magii coached me, told me what to do, and forgot to tell me or remind me to pull my feet up in the middle of the swing. Once I was up there it was too late to back down, so I went for it. My feet hit the water, forced me into a river related face plant, creating an Apex with my middle finger as the fulcrum, cleanly snapping my finger.

Well, after swimming to shore I knew right away it was broke. I pulled it straight, got in the boat and calmly paddled 4 miles to our lunch picnic stop. One of the people we were with had a first aid kit so I was able to splint the finger. On the following Monday, they took the X rays and confirmed my diagnosis. O well, what can you do!


Well this a random pic off the net, but you get the Idea!

No comments: