Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Flashback: October 19th 2007, Friday at the Dew Tour

I'm starting a new series of post that I will do momentarily called Flashbacks. What they are for all purposes are post that I wanted to do and didn't get around to doing that happened a long time ago or awhile ago.

The first is about my 2007 dew tour experience. The day before, my friend Aaron had called me and asked me if I would be interested in attending the Dew tour. He had apparently scored some VIP all access pass tickets from his place of employment. Of course I couldn't turn the offer down and he gave me confirmation later that evening that we were all set to go the next morning. I am lucky in that my job allows me a certain amount of freedom with my schedule and it was a piece of cake to get the following day off.

I picked him up at his house, we met up with another of my friends Jake, and we took off towards the TD waterhouse in downtown Orlando.

It was tough to find parking since Jake's modified super tall truck doesn't fit in any parking garages. Eventually we found a spot close to the entrance and we made our way inside pass the line right thru the VIP entrance. Immediately we hit the drink stand and quickly made our way to the street park course. Turns out the prelims had been rained out the day before and we got to watch the event from the perfect viewing area.

A serious street session went down, and the skating was top notch. I was really impressed with the Florida Locals that showed up to compete against the Pro's.

Shortly thereafter we made our way up stairs to the penthouse to get some of the free food and drinks that were available for the VIP's. After we had our fill we made our way all the way down stairs to where the tunnels for the athletes are located. We walked around and made our way to the very top of the Vert Ramp. I was amazed at our good fortune and spent the rest of the times watching the pro's practice and hang out. It was truly an honor to be up there hanging out with skateboarding legends and seeing and meeting some of the pro's I admired growing up. The list included, Chris Miller, Andy Macdonald, Bob Burnquist, Sandro Diaz, PLG, and Neal Hendrix. There were some other guys there as well as some younger kids that I didn't know but were all straight killing it. The spot we were standing on led to the Huge roll in that was ten feet taller then the 30 foot deck of the ramp. That deck we were on was 3 feet taller then the top of the ramp and these guys were flying over our heads. It made me wonder what it must feel like to be that high in the air and to have time to plan your next move cause the hang time is so long.

I didn't have a camera with me but I did manage to snag some pix with my camera phone and I put up the best three on here.

I got one of Bob Burnquist on the opposite side of the ramp.












One of some young kid that was ripping it up.






And one of Andy Macdonald.

Enjoy, I did.

laters....

No comments: