Thursday, June 12, 2008

The RattleSnake Phase 1

There is a portion of dirt roads that link up close to my house that I have ridden a couple of times. Well, I have been looking to add some mileage to my already sizeable dirt loop.
Upon suggestion I started using Google earth and discovered a network of dirt roads out towards the Osteen area.
I have a plan to connect it to a section I am already familiar with and explore to an area labeled on the map as RattleSnake Island.If you look at my image from the Google Earth program, I have put thumbtacks marking key locations. My plan is to print this, then while looking simultaneously at Google maps make notes on the map of roads that are labeled and the intended route with alternates.
The only section of this ride that appears to be Buff is the powerline trail that takes you out to the Snake.
With that in mind, this course lends itself to phase 2 which I will do tomorrow and actually attempt to drive the course to "Scout it Out".
From experience you have to be very keen when chasing images from satellite photos. You have to learn to recognize the subtle changes in the trail, cause sometimes the location is not very clear.
You sometimes come across sand pits or gates and fences, or natural obstacles like creeks and marsh land. That's when its good to have more then one route to reach or complete the route desired.
The plan is to ride it Fathers' day early, thirty miles is my guess, could be more could be less. If its nice; I plan to use it as a good place to ride to and camp just to test my overnight kit.
Stay tuned!

Laters,
LOS

1 comment:

EL SandPine said...

google earth is the shizzle... try the turn by turn direction. I think is call fly by directions. It is supper cool. Enable the "street view" option and go visit places like paris or some supper duper kools place and do the street view. It is as if you are actually flying over there. I am in love iwth Google Earth!