Friday, June 20, 2008

RattleSnake Phase 3

On Wednesday I finally made it to rattlesnake island. Wow.
The Naked Indian is on a mission. A mission to innovate and further take the possibilities to explore the natural wonders that our own state has to offer. To the individual who reads this blog, this is nothing new to you.
I took this "trip" or "mission" thru the appropriate phases. I first researched it extensively via google maps. Then physically drove to the spots I could to get a glimpse of what the terrain looked like, basically soft sand insurance. Finally, the execution phase came along.
Executing was taking longer then all the other phases combined. Right now is the season for the Taino Spirit of Thunder, Guatauba, to come out and play;so each afternoon, you know the deal.
The original team to conquer this loop was the Bird and I, but things didn't get to play out that way.
Circumstance being what it is, I enlisted my team mate to join me on my ride.
My planning and measuring via google earth was spot on. My maps and cue sheets were "rainman" accurate.

The red markings on this map clearly show the successful completion of the ride.
This opens up my next ride concept an overnight. This will be executed in August or September. Take off round midnight. Ride to RattleSnake and camp out.
Then ride an approximate 13 to 20 miles either across to New Smyrna or into Edgewater, OFF ROAD the whole way.
Then. Have breakfast somewhere, that can be calculated. We continue to the Spruce Creek MTB trail aka the Secret Trail. Ride that sucker, then take the roads to the cabbage patch, grab a snack and a beer.
Then we make our way via more road, cutting thru Lake Helen at some point, chewing up some dirt in Cassadaga back into De Land for Dinner and Camping at Lake Beresford park putting us at the start of the second section of the Naked Indian loop.
Wake up Sunday and finish the loop, barbecue at my place.
Sounds like fun?
You know what to do if you want a piece of this action.

Ladies and Gentleman, and now in its next phase of existence, I present to you Black Beauty, aka, the Stiff Bitch, aka the Bitch, aka the Beauty, aka the Mamasita. I slapped on a Vassago Odis fork. That fork is the single most bad ass upgrade I have done on this bike, I want a white one for the War Machine!!!
Jason's ride. Bad ass, I dig it, we were all lit up too when we went. The ride was an ass kicker. We got caught in a storm like 7 miles into the ride. Luckily I spotted and abandoned trailer and we made for the porch. We took cover at this abandoned trailer on this abandoned porch for nearly an hour as the storm carried on like a child's temper tantrum around us.
The Roads leading out to RattleSnake are in perfect condition and have signage. The Hunt Club out there does an excellent job of taking care of that place. They are on point. This place has as much potential as I anticipated it would and the wildlife was amazing.
I saw 5 deer, 1 bob cat, 1 Otter, 1 coon and 1 owl that was only ten feet away on a post giving me the usual salutations.
It rained the whole time. The Back section of Pell road was a mess. And it turned into a lot of work, everything was so wet that small lakes had formed. I was able to ride 90 percent of it only having to hike a bike less then a quarter mile. It was hard work, but fun regardless. There is something Seriously wrong with Black's drive train, I got to get it looked at. Bad ass ride, will be doing it again, and I look forward to really sinking my teeth into this place. I see a local hundred miler being easy and the ride I have planned I think will be over 100 miles.

Who's in?
Self supported, Over nighter.

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS





1 comment:

EL SandPine said...

I was hoping to see a lighting strike on that video. Not on you of course but out in the distance. You storm chacer you! LOl....