Tuesday, September 14, 2010

TnGa StaGe FOuR MuLBeRRy GaP To SQuiRReL GaP

I admit I was apprehensive after listening to the other racers.

I had a slight fear that I would become so comfortable at Mulberry gap that the next morning I would see it better just to pull the plug then to keep going.

But that morning, as I saw Matt Lee pack up and leave, and I caught a little more snooze, there was no apprehension as I loaded up my bike, ate two of the Best Bacon Egg and Cheese Sandwiches ever, and rolled out for second breakfast on Pinhoti 3.

I was now beginning my third official day of Eat, Sleep and Ride, and I felt great. As I made my way up the Pinhoti, I was savoring every morsel of dirt that laid before me. Thankful, that I had finally found the balance of riding hard everyday, in a consistent manner, then waking up the next with the legs still feeling crisp and sharp.

It was sheer pleasure to be had the entire time, when I finally reached Tatum Lead, I saw bear cub on one side of the old overgrown road, and Immediately and Intentionally Yelled to spook the animal, sure enough another one charged out the woods right behind him.

This was my second bear sighting of the trip. The first one was on the fire roads in the Cohutta section on a downhill I watched as one darted across the road as I made my way down.

I felt so blessed by this sighting that once I reached a peak, I stopped to give the world of MTBCast and Update.

Called my Mom as well to let her know I was OK, cause I know she was worried about me being on this adventure.

As I got back on the bike, it seemed like in no time at all I was on the pavement, and I tucked deep into the freddies to make my way to Dalton. Once I was sure that Pavement was all there was left, I took my Bandanna off my Aero bars, soaked it in water and placed it on my head under my helmet to keep me cool.

The road to Dalton was going to be a hammer fest for me as I had every intention to make some good time.

Being from Florida, I am real strong on Flats and Rollers so I took advantage of them and kept the pace Scorching across the Valley.

Right before reaching Dalton I saw a Person waiving to me on the side of the road and as I approached, I saw that it was my new Best Friend Rick Moon. We chatted it up, He reminded me who he was and I told him I had not forgotten. He Told me that I had some tough singletrack ahead and I was off to eat, and stock before heading up the mountain again.

You would think after 3 days I would have learned my lesson regarding lunch. The lesson of not eating too much and getting sluggish, but I am dumb. I ate too much and the climb up to Dug Gap was Hard. Had to talk myself out of walking on the road and I didn't walk, merely to avoid embarrassment.(from the passing cars ya know)

AS I finally reached the Top of the ridge, I was having such a hard time staying cool. I touched my lips and they were noticeably swollen. I drank and drank but nothing would quench my thirst. I eventually just took my shirt off and broke a cardinal sin of cycling, riding shirtless while wearing bib shorts. But, I knew I was alone, so I didn't care. Who was gonna see me. I had seen Jeff and Ruth in Town, but they had to restock, so I knew that there wasn't anyone for miles.

On top the ridge it immediately gave way to the most technical Rock garden I have ever ridden. 4 miles of rock garden to be exact. But, I live for stuff Like this. I live to push my technical limits and actually fantasized about riding it on my Fixed Gear War Machine. Technical Mayhem for miles and miles, O what a RUSH. Eventually I Flatted my Last tube. I was so concerned at this point and that I started to kicking myself in the ass for not fixing the issue when I had the chance.

After the fix, onward I pushed and eventually I got control of my body temperature and put my shirt back on.

Before I reached Dalton,
Before I started riding the Ridiculous Rock Garden,
I had made a pact, that I would take it easy till Dalton and then I would turn myself inside out, no matter how long I would ride, to finish. All night if I had too.

This was my plan and I had the energy and the lights to do it. I wanted to Catch Cricket. I knew that once the Sun Set she would stop, and I would pass her, maybe chat, before continuing my 24 hour self imposed solo.

So I was rolling, the day once again gave way to the night and before I knew It I was descending the last 100 feet of Squirrel gap and my last tube Flatted. I cursed. I felt it in my heart that my race was over.

I walked to the parking lot, only to find I had barely a hair of cell signal. I first attempted to patch the tube. But I had no luck. Then I walked up the mountain to try and get a call off, but no luck. Eventually I decided to just put up my hammock and wait the daylight. I decided, just on a whim to see if I could get a hold of my friend Marcel in Florida via text message. I did and He said he called Mulberry gap and left them a message. I figured my race was over and decided to enjoy my last night in the woods. It was 1030 at night, and I was out of water.

After putting up my hammock I searched for a creek or anything, but all was dry. I decided to just enjoy the night and slept well in my little hanging Cocoon.

Over and Over in my head, I played out all the chances I had to fix this tire.

Over and Over I played in my head this exact dialogue:

I have had this front tire since January 2008. Have ridden and raced it, in the CFiTT, 2 PMBARS, 10 50 milers, tons of mapping rides, several bike commutes, the Huracan 300 and almost 300 miles of Georgia mountains. I guess I could of got a new front tire before the race.

Even with all this playing in my mind, My body didn't have any trouble finding a deep, deep restful bliss.

Last Part Tomorrow,

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: