Saturday, September 11, 2010

TnGa StaGe TwO, MiLL CreeK RoaD to LonG BraNcH TrAiL

I was fortunate that I had come prepared.

That morning was cold.

No other way to say it. I got up, put my fresh pair of bibs on, my thick wool socks, my long Hoss shorts, my arm warmers, showers pass jacket and wool based layer.

I figure I wanted to be comfortable in the cold till my core warmed up.

I jump out the back of the trailer start packing things up and tying things to my rear pack when I discover that my front tire was low on air.

No worry I think, I will pump it, spin it and it should seal fine. Well, not the case at all as when I look for my mini pump, it was gone. Must of shook off on that crazy gravel rocky road I rode the night before.

I cant really describe the sense of frustration that I felt at that moment, mixed with a sense of panic. I knew I still had 20 plus miles to Helen for a chance of repair. I didn't remember the rules well enough to know if I could of accepted assistance from a fellow competitor, and I didn't have anyway to repair it.

I call MTB CAST to give them the update.

And then I start walking.

I decide to stick my thumb out, but not a single person wanted to respond or help.

I only had my emergency calories left, so I was chowing down on Almonds and cranberries as I walked and stuck out my thumb in hopes for a ride to Helen, then a return to where I left the course to continue with the race.

SO, I walked up the road, and down the road and up and down, then I reach an intersection. The road side points to the right and says "Brasstown Bald" which I recognize from the Tour De Georgia cycling race. I see a road sign after that says, "12 miles to Helen". I was devastated. I was going to pull the plug, there was no way in hell that I was going to walk 12 miles.

Just as despair and defeat were settling in, 2 cyclist pull up asking if I needed anything and I said, "Yes, do you have a mini pump". Dave did, and sold it to me after my generous offer of $20. I would of needed this pump the rest of the race, so the investment was worthy to me. I tried to seat the bead and get the Stan's to work, but it seemed to have either evaporated or leaked out. So, I took out the rim strip and pumped up the tube and hauled ass out of there back the way I came to return to the route.

I updated MTB CAST.

As I climbed up the dirt road, I had little water left and down to my emergency calories. As I am pedaling the endless but beautiful uphill Gravel road, a blue truck pulls along my side and ask if I was "Karlos".

"I said yes" and "they ask me why I had gone off course". At that point I knew they had been watching the race.

He offered me a coke and I accepted the coke and the brownie and the Gatorade and I got rolling again. He continued up the road to see if he could see any other racers, a virtual rolling Trail Angel, how awesome!

I don't know how many Racer's had passed me during the time consuming detour that I was forced to take, but since he continued up the road I assumed there were some I could catch and the race was on and my pace was combative as I ascended Tray Mountain.

At the top, I turn and see the helmet of Ruth Cunningham, riding along with her was Jeff Papenfus and after quickly catching up, I pass by and start riding some kick ass buff singletrack, my first real taste of the trip.

I had so much fun going down that mountain, and riding that crazy rocky gravel road that reminisced me of a triple wide version of Farlow Gap, I was in Mountain Bike heaven once again, just enjoying the fact that I was out riding and enjoying some beautiful Georgia trail.

As I popped out on the Road I let out a Huge Yell as I am over the top happy that I am finally back on pavement after completing another Dirty section of the TNGA. I tuck into the Freddies and Haul ass to Helen, passing 30 cars along the way.

Briefly as I passed the Woody's bike shop sign I considered going into see if I could re Stan's my wheel, but didn't think I would have another flat during the ride so I hammered on for food, refreshments, medicine and restock at Helen.

When I pulled up to Betty's Grocery, I see two bikes outside, and like a kid at the grocery store I start Scavenge hunting the store going Row by row till I find Stephen Huddle and Criket Butler over joyed with happiness that I had found some other racers. Hug's and hand shakes were given and I proceeded to eat my butt off and restock on meds and supplies.

At some point while in the store, my scalp started itching, and I started noticing Hives on my neck and my arms. That venom from the Bee must of exceeded the strength that my body was used too and I had to take even more benadryl.

After quite some Bewilderment on my part, I pack up and we all leave town together. There pace was quick and I was not able to keep there wheel, and before I knew it the Endless Tour De Georgia Road stage began, complete with ridiculous steep road ascents and descents and endless climbs for miles of miles.

Twice I had to stop on the side of the road, feeling so sleepy and tired, at the time thinking that it was the effect of the Benadryl.

Twice I rested, till I would relax a little too much and think I would hear the sound of a shifting bike and demand a rise from my flesh to get back to the task of going Forward. Forward to chase Cricket and Stephen.


My goal was clear I wanted to Make Mulberry Gap. Eventually, I started to feel better, and I the blood started flowing. I knew if I wanted to make the Gap tonight I had to light the matches so I started playing the music.

And my pace was strong and good, and before I knew it, Darkness had come and I as I made my way up a graded Fire road that reminded me much of the Forest Roads back home, I saw a campfire at the top of a climb and heard the cheering of fellow cyclist.

Apparently at my Helen Pit Stop, Ruth and Jeff had passed me and there they all were including Cricket and Stephen. They had made camp, and had made a beautiful fire and they were hoping I would join them.

But, as perfect as it was. I was not tired, and the last thing I wanted to do was lay in bed awake hoping to fall asleep. As beautiful and poetic as their fire and warmth and company would have been, I needed to pedal on.

And I was glad I did, as it was downhill for miles and miles and the stars were so beautiful that I had to stop and stare and marvel and tell the whole world about what I was seeing.

Some where along that part of the course a Huge rock kicked up and hit my Big Ring. I kept pedaling hearing a weird sound as the big ring was now rubbing the middle ring.

I stop and look to find that 4 teeth had been completely sheared off and two were bent. So I found a rock of appropriate size and I bash the rings that were bent straight and file down the others. I need and use the big ring often, so I had to make some sort of repair.

Eventually, as I am climbing up another fire road I get lost for a minute to discover that I had to navigate to a parking lot and jump on some more single track! WooHOOO, I was so excited, and the track was sweet. After riding hard, and railing the turns and enjoying some downhills, I crossed a creek and decided that at 130am it was a good time to stop and rest for the night.

I set up my hammock, got changed, and started feeling the itch from the Hives returning, took more Benadryl, and drifted off to sleep. The temperature was perfect and my dreams were filled with more singletrack riding.

Part 3 Tomorrow.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: