Sunday, September 12, 2010

TnGa StaGe ThReE, LoNg BrAnCh To MulBeRRy GaP

The weather was perfect Monday morning as I got up and got packed up ready to start my day on some singletrack.

As I was finishing packing up and getting ready to go, I see a dog dash through the creek followed closely by some hikers.

Cordial everyone was as pleasantries were exchanged and they continued on their hike.

I ate my breakfast which consisted of a couple of candy bars and rolled out, happy to be starting my day on some skinny trail instead of Gravel.

By this day I was happy to be doing something other than Gravel Grinding.

I had seen all types by then. More Gravel road then I ever thought imaginable, I consider myself and expert now.

As I made my way up the single track and down the single track I was having so much fun that before I knew it I popped out on the same parking lot I had started the night before.

At that point I wished I had bothered to at least took the cue sheets for the single track as the GPS Green Line I normally followed was not very accurate.

I remember something about a green mountain and that was the only turn I saw, so back I went, re rode half of the trail, went up green mountain, only to do an excellent descent to another parking lot and then get even more directions from a guy who lived in a cabin and waived me over.

For a second I thought I was going to get an offer for coffee, but instead he was able to give me a better Idea in which direction I should be going, and all my detours eventually were for not as I was on track.

The wonderful skinny trail gave way to gravel and pavement, and at some point I started running low on water. I saw a gas station and asked them if they had any vending machines and they said no. I kept going on route, saw a church and after some searching found a water spickett under the building and was able to at least get water.

On I pushed up and down some pretty big rollers. On this day I had found a new rhythm in my climbing. Some Climbs I would actually push the big ring and push the big gear and climb standing, others I would spin and grind away, and others, I would get off and push. But the rhythm was well established and much of the slipping from climbing that I did in day one, had passed to well seasoned adaption to the current conditions.

At some point I pop out on pavement and see what I think is a sign for a grocery store in the distance and pull up front, park the bike and get a huge amount of food to consume.

I sit, eat, drink, eat, drink, eat, and then before I know it, Cricket and Stephen pulled up. Once again I was happy to see them and at the same time disappointed that I had been caught. Once again we rolled out together and spent a minute of discussion, talking about distance goals.

They wanted to get past Mulberry, I was content with just reaching it, after learning that my distance estimates had been way off and after comparing mileage with them I had covered at least 15 more miles then they had.

They apparently came across the guy who gave me directions, and we continued on wondering when the Pinhoti would come.

Once again, the road kicked up and once again Crickett and Stephen drop me and once again I had ate too much and had to rest and ride, rest and ride, till I felt better.

More road unfolded in front of me. And then it gave way to Gravel, and then I recognize and notice that I am Big Ring climbing a part of the Cohutta Course that I had to walk a couple of years before. Interesting how time changes things. Since I recognized and new part of this area, I was able to hammer the huge rollers and use the big ring to motor halfway up some of the climbs and really let go of the brakes on the downhills.

Finally after some gravel grinding, I was back on the skinny trail and back on the Pinhoti.

The day gave way to dark and creek crossings. As I crossed some creeks I started noticing wet tire tracks and that eventually pushed me to pick up my pace. And just as I was wondering, looking my odometer estimating when Mulberry gap would appear, I come up a small incline and find Cricket and Stephen. They tell me they had been walking, I don't bother asking why, and Stephen tells me they will probably bivy there, I was motoring on to the Gap. He told me he estimated it to be 4 miles and I really picked up the pace.

Up and down, executing some sweet fully loaded bike jumps along the way and finally after a couple of false endings, I come out on Cosamunga road and I know I am close to Mulberry Gap, but nothing looks familiar.

As I see the start of Pinhoti 3 I Look behind me and see the sign that says .4 miles to Mulberry gap and I take off, wondering if I anyone will be up, or what will happen when I get there.

As I make the steep climb up the access road, I hear yelling and cheering, roll right into an interview with Joe Polk from MTB Cast. All this was very surreal for me, as I have been listening to MTB Cast for years, it was just an awesome moment for me to be on it.

Awesome moment, after eating, doing laundry, showering and getting changed, to sit there eat food and chat with Matt Lee, and Eddie and Nam O'Dea and Joe Polk. All great story tellers, I was so entertained. Charley a fellow racer was there as well and so was Amy and some others from Mulberry gap. It was so nice to be done with a huge chunk of the route.

As I drank some beers with Joe and Matt, I eventually settled into my cot with some warm blankets drifting off into one of the most dream like, satisfying slumbers that I have had in years.

Wow, is all I can say about the ride and the experience up to this point!

Part 4 tomorrow!!!

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: