Sunday, February 10, 2008

Munching the Miles

I honestly don’t know who checks out these motion based links I put up that document my rides, but if you do, you sure are going to have a super bonus treat. Look for the links inside the associated paragraphs and rifle thru the dashboard as you see fit.

About a week ago I finally got to take my surly out, and found out a few things. It’s a little under geared for road riding; after all it was my primary off road machine for almost a year. Since no one offered me some free road cranks, (thanks all! Just kidding, relax,) seems I am destined to making a purchase in the very close future. It hurts my wallet to think about all the cycling related dollars I am going to be putting out in the next couple of months. I need more sponsors! As well, somehow it got left turned on for the entire drive to croom a couple of days later, but, I don’t know, it’s weird....

Croom, what a physical disaster that turned out to be. Still, the Nature was fantastic, and the ride was peaceful and fun. Especially, since I spent most of the ride completely alone. FYI, I am feeling much better.

Wednesday, I got together with Trevor and did a ride out on the Cady Way trail out in Orlando. Good chance to test my lights. I have been hard at work at having what I would consider a more professional light set for the upcoming 12 hour. I still have to acquire one more component. I think I got the right headlight, I got to get the right bar light and I have my trail rat as back up.

I’m going to go ahead and say it. And just let anyone know who is wondering. I will be at the 12 hour and I will ride hopefully for most of those 12 hours. The ball is in motion, the plans are made, and it’s a GO. But, I will let any competition know now. It’s a Training Day for me. There, that is my official disclaimer. So, on that note I have been ramping up even more miles for myself, for the simple fact that I am trying to speed up my transitional period. Its working, but I think I’m still 100 miles short of feeling just right. So the plan for the week is 100 more miles before the 12 hour race. So I went for a Loop around town, kept it short because it was dark and cold, I hate the cold.

Come Saturday, I was in the mood for a LONG ride. But, I had other things that HAD to get done (man I wish I got paid to ride bikes). Regardless, I had someone who was going to come along, but something came up. So now, I’m stuck alone, but still had to do a bunch of stuff, so I did the stuff and when I finished, it was close to dark. Kailan, my 8 year old offered to ride. So we took off towards the cemetery. Now I spend a lot of time scanning the Google maps looking for trails. And I knew there was a trail out there that would take you across the woods and you end up back on a major road. So, I asked him if he wanted to explore. And sure enough he said he did. We rode up to the Cemetery then hit the double track. It was Sandy, but when you got a Specialized S works bike and a granny gear and you weigh 60lbs, you can float on sand. As for me 29's do a fantastic job of chomping up the sand. So we made a good time of it. Rode towards the sounds of cars, and presto we popped out right where I expected. I don’t think I would ride that trail again, because it’s too much sugar, but it was fun for us. We checked out the new elementary school they are building and then rode to Ace hardware, because I owed him an Ice Cream and I knew for sure they would have some there. We rode home and wrapped up the ride. 5 or so miles with my son or 45 miles of road and dirt, turns out today, the 5 miles was MUCH better.

Every Sunday morning for awhile, the Orlando Bikeworks employees have been going out for an early at Snow hill trail. It's a short little ride, and that’s fine. I wanted to do something short and hard today. I’m sick of my body taking 11 miles to warm up, seriously, 11 miles. So, several people showed up and I got to ride with some of my most favorite people. There were some people there that I didn’t know. Now, I understand the nature of the ride. Get out there and ride as hard as you can and if you can make some people cry in the process, then Points for you. It wasn’t quite that cut throat, but I did sure take off at 18+mph trying to make sure that it wasn’t. In a matter of moments I look back and I am all alone except for this kid Eric. He got in my slip stream and enjoyed the ride. The rest of the ride was great and it was fun to chase and be chased and shake and rattle and roll and all that NASCAR type of stuff. It was a BLAST!

I got my fingers crossed and I am hoping that I have my new wheel set for the 12 hour. Chance favors the prepared mind and mentally I plan on riding my old wheel set. Some of the guys told me they saw my new hubs and they said they were "bad ass"; that’s got me even more psyched.

On another note, any and all who know who I am is, are free to feed me beer once we start the night laps of the Santos 12 hour. Yeah, I if I am still moving at that time, I am 100% sure I will need the carbs AND the micro toxins.

Got to go ride more,

See ya at the 12 hour.

Laters,

LOS

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might have some road cranks for you, I have a some in a box,
drop me a line, I'll take a few pics and e-mail them to you.

I'm ononecog at the forum

EL SandPine said...

I am a total geek so of course I use MB. Just need to get the SVG viewer to work properly. I been using allsportgps.com a bit more then MB though.