Thursday, February 07, 2008

Operating Basis

I spent the first two days this week in Clearwater. I was there for some good ole fashion corporate training. I guess the good fortune and good graces are mine as I have received a promotion and I am taking a leading role in the Training Department, something I have wanted to do for many years. I learned alot while I was up there and I was introduced to those two words in its compound form, and recently those words ring true in my psyche over and over again. What does it mean? Well, in a nutshell it’s the basic level that we all function at. And lately I have been in a transitional period and in the process of altering my Operating Basis.

I feel good, But different. From what my friends and family tell me, I'm looking great. So, I guess the changes are doing something. But, deep in my heart, there is that little bit of fear that I’m not going to be able to work things out.

In the past two years I have been on a constant mission to change my operating basis. It all started with my psyclocross adventures after the ORAMM. I put that thing together and rode it all over. It was the beginning of my current state of metamorphosis. Come January 2007, I rode every single 50 mile off road ride, raced the El Lagarto six hour and the razorback six hour all on my cross bike. I rode good and rode strong, but after the beating I took at Razorback, I decided it was time for another change.

I got a Raleigh XXIX+G, my official and first 29er. It was perfect for the riding I do around here, but discovered that the 30 plus pounds it weighed was a devastating penalty in the mountains. It was too steep of a gradient to adjust my operating basis. Think about it, I went from a steel light single speed, to a steel light cyclocross bike, to a TANK.

Not long after that, I started my current affair with my Salsa Mamasita and the rest they say is History. But looking back, since that cataclysmic experience in the North Carolina Mountains I have been on a mission to continue to alter my Operating Basis.

And I guess, this is my mission and my plight. To constantly pursue more. To constantly push the envelope and seek that next and higher level.

Now, all I got left to do, is pedal and pedal my bike in hopes that my body can adjust to the newest level of Operating Basis I am pursuing.

I went on a sweet ride with my good friend Trevor yesterday. A simple and easy bike path ride 21 miles out and back in the Winter Park area of Orlando. And slowly but surely I’m starting to feel my normalcy returning. I am fairly confident that the 12 hour is within my grasp.

We will just have to see.

In other news, I soon will be sporting a new kit from my sponsor Team Bikeworks Orlando. As well as a new wheel set and more information coming soon as I am working on two other sponsors.

I will keep y'all Posted,

till next time,

Laters,

LOS

No comments: