Monday, November 24, 2008

HeAdWinDs AnD UpHiLLs


Day 2 turned out to be the exact opposite of day one. Lots of busy road, lots of uphills and lots of wind.

That didn't take away from the beauty.

Instead of doing breakfast before the ride I recommended we roll our way all the way out to heathrow and eat there. Estimated distance 20 miles.

"Let's eat a couple of bars and depart and see what happens", " We can snack along the way".

The Bird was with it and off we went. Despite the traffic, She and I were both enjoying the ride and the effort, the weather was perfect. We kept the pace to our next destination swift, taking breaks along the way when necessary. The Bird had never pedaled up hills as long and as big as these, so pace was important. When we got to Sorrento, we stopped at a Pizza Place, refilled on water and kept Blazing the Tarmac towards Heathrow.

After many miles and some obvious suffering for the Bird, we made it to Lunch. At Lunch we straight up feasted and then rolled over to Cold Stone Creamery and had some Ice cream goodness. My estimates were off all day long, I had us pegged for 20 miles to that spot, ended up being 24 and I had us pegged for 17 miles home ended up being 22.

The bird was a sport on it all and we just managed to catch so much beauty once we crossed over into Volusia county and picked up on the Naked Indian route. The time of day we passed threw there and the way the sun was hitting the land created a buffet for our visual receptors. It was like Eye candy as we rolled threw the Gemini portion of the NK route.

Eventually, we could feel the temperature had dropped a few degrees and I gave the bird my jacket and we fired up the lights. Yesterday had been quick, but today with all the stops, we ended up getting caught by the twilight. As we made our way closer to home I could Hear the bird complaining, but still wanting to fight. Today had been very painful for her. The accumulated climbs, the longest Road Ride she has ever done as well as her first City to City Tour was all adding up. But at the end, she got that fire in her pedal stroke and put the hammer down and we rolled up onto our property feeling jubilant about the accomplishment and stoked on our success.

The trip had been magical, we had nothing but the most positive omens the entire way. Not a single mechanical problem or flat, things just could not have gone better. We saw 3 eagles and many hawks, and other birds.
My technology skills are improving and I packed alot and still kept it light. I was very comfortable along the way.

Suffessful trip I think our next Tour will be to Edgewater, where we will step it up and camp.

Pics are on the way,
Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you, My Love, for including me in your adventures. We had such a wonderful time. True, it was painful on day two but the beautiful things we experienced were so worth the pain! I hope to have many more adventures with you, the love of my life.