Tuesday, December 08, 2009

I CaLL it WoRkIng OuT

After a chilly night spent in the middle of the forest sleeping in the Back of my car, I woke up and got ready for the day.

Broke down my camp quick as I could and made my way towards Borders to have some Coffee and Internet access as I got ready to start my day.

The evening before was WET and COLD, not my favorite combination of adverse conditions. Regardless, I slept well in my make shift campground and felt rested that morning. AS I played on the web and the not to be named social networking site.

The Hits to the Blog have been a plenty regarding the Eye of the 'CAN' Loop. But the Email response has been non existent. It may have to do with the fact that I put the WRONG EMAIL on the original POST, AMATEUR.

As I mature in my cycling or in this current facet or existence of my cycling, I am enjoying exploring. AND I had made a pact to explore this tiny 26 mile section of trail. At work, I got a hold of a trail guide and description, but was unable to find any GPX file for it.

That afternoon around 2pm or so I rolled out, bundled up, with my "EPIC" kit packed up.

Started following the trail, and immediately I notice how BUFF it is. Now BUFF to me is trail that rarely sees traffic and is super technical and offers more then the average challenge or obstacle to the rider. The first time I attempted this traverse I got spit out after 4 miles lost as ever and had to fire off the back to start feature on my Garmin Edge to get back to the parking lot. This time I was determined to be more diligent.

Beauty was abound on this track, discovery was all over the place. Lots of Lil creeks and bridges, as I eventually broke thru the cherry and made it past the initial point that I got lost at the first time. The trail was enjoyable, but it was a conscious effort as I was having to stand and pedal and really work, the entire time.

I got to a point deep in the trail where I could hear Cars hitting a bridge, and then, for what seemed to be 1/4 mile I rode thru a flooded section of the trail constantly in 10 inches give or take of water. On top of that it was super tech and super cold, so I was super diligent to not stumble and get my feet wet.

AFTER, completing that section, the Forest got denser, deeper and even more challenging. To the point, that I stumbled not one time and fell, but about 5 times I stumbled and fell over. Pretty interesting. At one point the trail was like a tunnel thru the brush, with trail on my left, trail below and trail above. It was at this point that I looked at my computer and marveled how far I had traveled in one hour ~5 miles? WTF, at this rate it would take me 4 hours plus to complete the trail, then 2 hours or so more to take the road back to the car. At that point I was cursing the fact that my SD card slot had gone out on my Etrex and without my topo maps I had NO CONCEPT of where the heck I was in that thick brush.

Then It finally happened I stumbled and got my feet wet. So cold feet, toes hurting, then I started thinking of what was missing from my epic kit. WTF, did I forget my extra socks, no lighter???

I was breaking the number one rule in the wild, don't panic, and although it was very small and minuscule, I was a bit panicked. I had to "talk myself down" and just kept the push going and moving forward at my miserable pace. Just as I was peaking in my panic, I emerged into the wide open again. And I started riding some old abandoned double track, which then turned north along Powerlines and I started actually covering some ground. At that point I felt as If I was in a race and I was standing and pedaling and hammering from one marker to the next, time to recover some ground. I had a light, and I had enough calories and my water filter, but I was not in the mood to be out there in the super cold in the dark.

I started eating a little, there were some big sandyish climbs, but I'm a good adverse conditions rider, so It was no biggie. THEN, after a couple of miles I emerged on to the road. Straight was continuing my track, west was heading back towards my car. It was now 430 and It would be dark in one hour so this trail would have to get another visit and another rematch in the future. As I slipped on my arm warmers, zipped up my under shirt and wool shirt, I donned my wool hat under my helmet and began the cold breezy road ride back to the car.

Reached the car after only 15 minutes or so of pedaling, my pace was fast, was I just a beast after all that buff tech trail or was there a tail wind, LOL.

The parking lot, was empty as I packed up my car and headed towards the room I had rented at a ridiculous cheap rate for the evening.

While it was happening, I was not enjoying it, but in the car, I reflected on my adventure and declared that it was indeed fun. Next time, topo maps, extra socks and a lighter.

SHRED.

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

2 comments:

bikechain said...

that panic feeling is only one-up'd by getting in calmed down. Was that ride in North Florida?

Karlos said...

Yes sir up pan handle way.