Tuesday, December 01, 2009

SiNgLeTraCK MiND!!

Hmmmmm..

Curious enough, this time of Year, every Year, I get a serious Singletrack Itch. I want to ride Lots of singletrack, the rootier the better, the faster the better, the more tech the better.

For years I couldn't figure out why. Why am I so inclined to hunger for singletrack shred specifically at this time of the year.

AND then this past Saturday, as I was sponsoring a 24mph sprint down some trail, I remembered. AWWW, Seasons and Seasons of XC racing usually went down this time of the year every year.

Here is the run down of the track I been shredding:

Pine Log MTB trails, Crooked Creek and Dutchman Trail.

When I go to visit the Warrior's Princess I always ride this system. I do all the Singletrack in as much as a loop fashion as I can to maximize the miles. When I ride Trails like this I usually BIG ring them, to really get the most out of the work out. I figure, hey, got to get some extra resistance out of this somehow.

Some would say that this trail is not worth much, BUT, being the DIRT SLUT that I am, I like it. Its twisty, rooty, pretty and fun. You can go and hammer the hell out of it without consequence. I digg it...

Interesting story from the ride. There's a particular plant in the forest that if you touch instantly makes your hand burn something fierce. I cant remember the name of it, but I came across it on this ride. The one thing that can instantly neutralize the burn and I learned this in the Army, is URINE. Let's just cut the story short and say that it works.

Tom Brown Park Trails: Magnolia Trail and Upper and Lower Cadillac.

Super Rad trail. Super cool features both natural and man made. Some killer drops, some long climbs for Florida. My only beef with the system is the marking system they used. Arrows work so much better, instead, they got you following these little diamonds with numbers on them. They start at 1 and rise or descend in value depending on which way you go and it kind of makes it hard to follow. Would love to see what IMBA would do with this trail. BUT, regardless, tons of flow, super bad ass, great chances at speed, I just loved it. I only rode 7.5 miles or so, but still had a blast and it rained while I rode it which just added to the fun.

SnowHill Road, the entire Enchilada and then some.

This is the Trail I grew up on and I like to claim that I am the KING of Snowhill. Not proven nor tested, but I like to say lots of things that may necessarily be not based on Fact. Took my buddy Rob out there who has ridden that place many a time. AND attempted to show him some new stuff. Ended up rolling my front tire, and then had leak issues almost the entire ride, that was a bummer considering how many tubeless rides I have had. I wont blame the tire set up, I should probably you know pump some air in them things from time to time. BUT fun ride, lots of kick ass super technical trails. I would say that most of the state of Florida Sleeps on how cool this system is and I am Ok with it. The less people that ride it the better, LOL. I know this place like the back of my hand and it shows when I ride it...

So that's two weeks worth of single track shredding. I don't get to ride as often as I would like, but who does right. I think dissatisfaction is a factor of the human condition. I think if I don't travel this weekend, I may want to go do Epic trail on Sunday at Santos, well see what happens. I still got to hit the bike shop and get that front wheel fixed.

Ok, enough for now I recon,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

PS: Eye of the Huracan Official Announcement this week.

2 comments:

Eric Wever / Pisgah Productions said...

Karlos,
You headed North for the Pisgah 36?

Karlos said...

Eric, Im trying to talk my friend into partnering with me for it. The desire is there, The fear is there, the WANT is there. SO. We will see what happens.

I will let you know, I definetely want to do it!