Monday, May 03, 2010

ThE LaSt....




Rad custom bike by Carlos, fun to ride too..


It's pointless to speak in miles when you talk about this race. If you look at the data file, its ridonkeylous what Luis and I did. I will say upfront, that I give Huge Kudos to Luis. Over a year off the bike, two months back and he out climbed me on every climb. I felt so bad that he had to wait for me at the top of almost every climb, He probably could of finished an hour or two earlier but, as a good partner he waited. My MOJO was not on at all. I could ride, If it was flat or downhill I was fine, but climbing legs were absent.

So back to the story....1 mile into the race, my heart was in my throat and I was looking at the speedometer in bewilderment as to the distance I had covered and how hard I was already working. The entire day there was so much internal dialogue going on, most of it negative. I finally reach Pressley Gap and Luis lays the plan on me. The entire time I had told him, he was the Captain, I was there to work. Luis picked the route, and my job was to go with him, and that's what I did. The plan was to go up and over Turkey pen gap.

We continue hike a biking, get to the trail, several teams are there, the mountain is covered in mist, the humidity was thick, it was literally misting. There was a cold breeze cutting thru the air, so much in fact, that I put the rain cover on my pack and put my rain jacket in my bottle holder. Before we started head long towards Turkey pen a team was walking back saying that it was pointless to go that direction, that it was a mess.

So up and over Black Mountain we went, eventually after what seemed a while we were locked into a sweet downhill on Buckhorn gap, then right into S mills river, just a conga line of riders. Then Onto Squirrel gap and more hike a biking with a fair amount of riding thrown in. 13 miles and 3 hours later, we finally made our first checkpoint.

We make quick time and push on, toward the next checkpoint, as we continue to ride Squirrel gap which is a pretty gnarly trail, I go over the bars several times, I think Luis even got a picture, I never hit the ground though, but on one particular incident I smashed the rear derailleur on a tree and bent my hanger. Rendering my 32 cog on my rear cassette a liability to use.

O well, nothing we could do, attempting to straighten it could mean a break and that would be worse then losing my lightest gear. The entire day I kept waiting for my Leg's to come around. I reminded myself that it had been several weeks since I had ridden and had taken it easy before then on account of my knee issues, not only that, the last time I rode in the mountains was exactly 1 calendar year before this day, I did my best to keep perspective. But Luis, was riding away on every climb and I felt so bad about him having to wait. By the middle of the day the huge joke was, how "I owned the Gravel Road descents", literally balls to the walls, flying down them. After we made the Bradley creek checkpoint, we started up 5015 which I knew was going to be a pain in the ass climb, yet not as bad as I remembered. I was eating, I was fueling, I was taking endurolytes, it seemed hot, the sun was bright. I was taking in Dark Chocolate to motivate me for the slow work that the climbs were proving to be. As we made our way to Yellow Gap, we hung a right and began a screaming downhill. At the bottom I knew we could get water without having to filter so we took full advantage of that. I cleaned my face, refilled my bag, wet my head. Then off to climb 5000 to reach the next checkpoint. At this point, I had grown at least accustomed to my miserable pace up the climbs and it blew my mind that I actually passed someone on a climb, LOL.

We made it to the top, got Checkpoint number 3, and up rolled Rob Roberts and Mike Kanning, aka Team Black Ops. Rob, looked happy as ever, comfortable, said he was "sweaty". Mike, looked like someone had kicked him in the stomach, but I understood the feeling. Unless you have ridden at Pisgah, you have no idea how hard it is by reading this. Just say this to yourself again, 3 hours = 13 miles. Ok, wrap your mind around that.

We asked Rob what checkpoint was this and Rob Roberts said number 3. Momentarily, I told him we were done, a silly attempt at a Psyche out, but literally, we had made 3 checkpoints before them, but the rub was this. We had one Checkpoint left that we were going for, and it was gonna take all we had to do it, they had one easy checkpoint to grab, and one pain in the ass one, meaning they would get 5 and unless they had a ridiculous mechanical (which I would not wish on anyone, let alone my friends) we were bested.

No matter, we still had to finish and so did they. Before we even climbed 5000, I was already crying about having to climb back up to yellow gap. Man did it hurt. As I climbed I kept looking back, fully expecting to see Mike and Rob, and eventually they came by, Rob still looking happy, Mike still looking like someone owed him money. By the time they passed me I am sure Luis was already at the top waiting for me, felt so bad. BUT, I was happy that this time on this climb, I didn't walk like I did at this spot last year.

We continued on 1206 and it was more climbing then it was downhill. Then at the bottom of Pilot Rock, which I hiked up Last year, I was pretty much over the entire thing. 40 miles in and I knew I had 2.5 miles of pure hiking ahead. And so I began. Just drained. Just suffering, just over it. I questioned, as I have done in the past, why do I race, why do I come out here, under trained every single time, why cant I once make the mountains in good form, its always one thing after another. I thought about The Arizona Trail Race, man that's probably way harder than this, then I thought about the TNGA, then I said, you know what, I am never gonna race again, this is freaking retarded, I suck at this and I should give up. Just go home, sit on the couch and ROT. Eventually I turned off the music. I started to just focus on my surroundings. I took pictures, I tried to think of other things and other people. Eventually, I made it to the top, then a short descent, nabbed the checkpoint.. At that checkpoint, Shana and her partner showed up. We had Yo Yoed all day long and was astounded to see them. We took off and started descending a ridiculous mountain back down. This trail was hard to walk up and downright deadly to go down.

This is a section of the trial, pics dont do it justice

Rocks, ridiculous switch backs, rock stair drops into ridiculous switch backs, but eventually, after awhile of tech descending, patience, control and forearm burn we reach the bottom.

The view from the Hike a bike that almost killed me

I kid myself, but I am like a sprinter in the Tour De France.

Mountain bike feedbags, you should have some, order them, best piece of gear I own

Once I can smell the finish Line I get an extra burst of energy, and sure enough, I started going. And on we went, Big Ring party 1206, to S Mills River, then Big ring party halfway up S Mills river, then hammered the fastest I had climbed all day up Buckhorn gap.

The man, the Myth, The Legend in his own mind

And finally I was climbing like I should have all day. Finally my legs seemed to be even keel with my intentions. Down Clawhammer, flying and I mean flying, then up Maxwell cove, still moving good, finally Luis and I were climbing together, like we should have, then eventually, I ran out of energy close to the top. We made Presley gap, only a short wait this time for him, and we did the final hike a bike and made the parking lot after carefully navigating the ridiculous Black mountain descent in the poor light conditions.

This Little Purple Flower, reminded me of someone

So happy to be done, I check the clock, 8:02 pm.

Us, at the finish, Look at the guns, I look all muscular, Pic was taken by Eddie O Dea
Good enough for 44th place out of 100 racers.

My favorite part of the race was finishing. It is harder than anything I have done to date, and I have done some hard ass rides. I believe the route we took was possibly the hardest route, but it also had the most singletrack out of the possible options available.
Huge Thanks to Luis for being such a good friend and Captain. Huge Thanks to Bikeworks Orlando crew for helping me get ready for the event. All my sponsors for the support and gear you provide that I rely and beat up and still holds up. Finally Huge Props to Rob Roberts and Mike Kanning for snagging 13th place, amazing.

Just to line up for this race, makes you a brave soul. To finish and place, an amazing rider. To take a spot in the top 15 is a World Class performance. To place in the Top Three, almost makes you Beyond Category, the guys who win this, are locals, and did just as many checkpoints as everyone in the Top Ten and were still done by 4pm and change, ridiculous.

Flowers are pretty
PMBAR, still crushing souls in 2010.


Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN



PS:
GPS stats from Topofusion, the Garmin Connect Data is a little skewed: per topofusion, 60.91 miles, 10425 feet of climbing, 5.6 mph avg speed, 48.6 max speed, 12:18 total time, 1:24 min stopped time.

3 comments:

Luis G. said...

Good job toughing it out there man. It wasn't an easy day, that's for damn sure. We had fun (sort of) and that's all that matters! TAINO GUAZAS!

EndlessBikeCo. said...

It was awesome riding with you guys a bit out there! Good times, good times.

Unknown said...

I had no idea you kept this site going and as always a great read and thank you for sharing. It's cool to see you guys back on the dirt, now if I can only get my shite together. ;-)