Tuesday, January 06, 2009

CeNtriPicaL CyCliCaL: ThE Nk RiDe WraP uP

We will start with just this:
The actual file. GPS NK RIDE 2009

Honestly. I have no idea what I am doing. I looked for the dummies guide to organizing an event and I could not find it. I went by feeling and intuition and experience from doing other events.

I have spent many a blog post talking about riding the Indian, my official off roadie route, and I put one on in May 08, after making some significant discoveries. After doing the Catch 22 with Rob B in Gainesville, I got motivated to do another one and really add some meaning to it.

Sweet 16 ride, each year add another rider, Celebrate my forage into Parenthood dedicate it to my first born and show everyone my ride.

I had no idea how much work marking a ride of this size would take. And down to the wire, after 2o hours of marking I managed to even add more single track before it was said and done. I didnt know how people would take it, or even like it, I didnt know lots, but I am learning and I want to continue to have Singletrack Samurai Productions put on more Unique EVENTS. Events based on Fun and adventure.

I had about 20 registered riders but had some last minute cancels, even then I still got my sweet sixteen and then some.

That Night I went to bed late, and got up super early. The first arrival was Harvey Minton and Kevin. I was so happy that Harvey decided to join the ride, Flattered even. It was nice to have Harvey at the house and we chatted and got ready, my team mates rolled in and we rolled to the park.

It was awesome seeing everyone getting ready. A good buzz and vibe was in the air as I was shaking hands and having riders sign the waiver form. Yes there was a waiver form, you never know right. I put on a fabulous and dare I say funny riders meeting.

We rolled out. It was a mass of a Peloton with Harvey, Mucaro and I setting the pace in front. We were spirited and Rolling quick. Before the Start Harvey had told me he would ride honorary single speed 32 x 15 just for me, again honored.

I had alot going on and I had instructed the Warrior Princess that I would be calling her to keep her updated on our progress. The group managed to roll large and grouped for about 8 miles, we hit Bethel Loop and hit the Old Enterprise Rail Bed trail, into Old Titusville road, into the Morality trail and BAM thats when the grenade hit.

You had to do a small hike a bike to get through the Morality over to the Braddock Road section and that Really split up the group. I was pushing the pace admittedly, I wanted to keep the group moving, plus, I wanted to add speed to make some people suffer, and selfishly enough, I wanted to see if my markers would work. We dropped two riders through that section and kept the hammering up. I had called the bird out through that section and advised her that we would be at Gemini in 20 minutes or less.

And my estimates were right as she barely made it out of the car to take pics. We kept the pace up and kept rolling and I was in the midpack, the constant pedaling was hard work. We started getting closer to lake Konomac and the pit section so I dropped back and started eating since I knew the next 10 miles would be hard work.

We hit the pits, and someone got the first balloon right of the bat (there was a points race after all). Hit the Powerline trail and watched as some riders had to dismount and I floated over the thick deep sand in my usual form and fashion. Got to the front of the group. Stopped to make a call to the bird to let her know my time arrival for Angelina's and bam, the group got infront and it was hard to chase them down.

In fact, Harvey had got a forest stuck in his cassette, so we ended up on the RR service road 1 together, onto Dutchman we started hammering to try to close the gap to the group. And we worked hard but I eventually gave up, and faded back. But at that point, I know we had dropped another rider.

We hit blue springs park, into the single track to the RR tracks and because there was sand and mud through some sections I managed to close the gap again, but once we hit the tracks, Luis M, dropped back to cover his buddy and I kept pedaling. I could see the head of the group and I could see Trebor and MK pulling away.

Then I saw the group pass under the super tall bridge and BAM they kept going straight. I tried yelling for them, but they didnt hear me. So I tried calling people but they didnt answer, so I jumped on the bike path and hammered, and as I caught up to them I told them the bad news and encouraged them to bush wack on to the bike path. ONce I got to the turn off, I sat and waited for them to regroup so they could enjoy the sweet slice of buff single track by lake beresford.

We rode the track, regrouped at the lot for water, at this point we were over 30 miles in and the group called a neutral sag stop.

We chatted I went and scouted for the four riders that were back and then eventually we took off, as were about to roll out two of the riders rolled up. Turns out they had missed the turn as well and ended up riding the entire powerline track which is a sandy crappy mess and they would have loved the bike path. Next time I will mark that spot just a little better.

We do all of the beresford single track and then roll to lunch. Again, by this time, my legs are pretty tired from the fixed gear pedaling but I am still keeping good pace. I watch the group ride away from me and miss the turn to lunch. I have a laugh and start calling them, again no one answers. I get Harvey on the phone and he starts chasing, I get Marcel on the phone and then I get a call back, "we see arrows right here" and I tell them "thats the post lunch arrows". They ride back we all EVENTUALLY get to lunch and the festivities begin.

I estimate that I must of drank a whole pitcher by myself when it was all said and done and I cannot tell a Lie I left that place drunk. We started rolling the road, then the sidewalk, then the road, then the sidewalk, then we hit the wolf pack trail. Again the group was ahead, but once we hit the dirt, I start reeling them in. At this point, MK and Rob were long gone and we had no chance of closing the gap on them. We hit Old Enterprise Road I take time to show the boys how to ride the nasty dirt and we get into Cassadaga and out to Lake Helen without incident, hit Ranch Road and I could see the group up front again. They are within site as we hit hyder and once again they make the wrong turn onto Old train road.

At this point I had acquired some shadows that were tired of making wrong turns. We waited for them to come back to us after there short runnin with rifle toating land owners. We keep rolling, finish Old train, onto the road, onto the sidewalk into the Old Cemetary trail section. Were rolling through the woods, ride the fresh cut and then get into the sandy spots again and I start slowly getting to the front of the group. Eventually I pop out ahead with my two team mates in front and we get to the finish line with Kevin closely behind me.

Immediately Im popping beers, having food, talking to everyone. From then on, it was music and beer and thank yous and a winner was declared in the points race. With 11 points Michael Kanning won the Naked One, with Marcel Aguirre coming in second with 8 points. It was close but Mike wanted it and really showed his true genius and intention from the beginning. Admittedly I didnt get it at first, but I soon understood.

The Naked INdian Ride Fatty Festival was spectacular. The fire was even better than High Def tv. I drank and drank and talked and talked, and laughed and laughed. EVeryone had a good time at the after party and the fire was off the charts.

I want to take the time to thank Paloma aka the Warrior Princess aka the Bird. As always she helped so much that I cant even begin to thank her. I also want to thank Theresa Shroeder my first volunteer ever and Lima for helping out. And a huge thanks to all the riders who registered and rode and had faith in my route. I am honored and flattered that you would come to my hood and not be afraid to kick it old school.

Next year, the first Saturday of the month, it will be on again. I am already plotting on adding even more dirt and cutting a little more trail to take the adventure to the next level. As always its a work in progress.

Thanks to my team mates Mitch and Trevor for coming out and participating, Im hoping one day the entire team will make the ride.

And Finally thanks to the creator for giving me the ability, foresight and determination to put together such a creative route and for the gift of this beautiful planet Earth to cruise my bicycle upon.

thanks to all again,

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS













1 comment:

Treadlight said...

Awesome write up...really a pitcher? No wonder you look sluggish. LOL

I had fun and yes I am very thankful to You, Paloma and the rest of your family for opening your house and putting the ride together.

You guys are the BEST!!

Morisson