Wednesday, May 20, 2009

ConFEssIons Of an UNderPaid - - PooRLy TrAiNeD BiKe MeChaNic


Wow, having a family of 5 some weeks seem like I am the only bike mechanic in the busiest bike shop in the world.

These past three days it has been raining. Personally I think its awesome, but to some people, since we went from Forest Fires and Drought conditions one week to Torrential downpours and Flooding, that this is a clear sign of the apocalypse.
BUT, to my Three Sons, it means that they are still out there commuting daily in this inclement weather.

Yesterday, One son was force to Hike a walk home in the rain cause he caught a double puncture in his front slime wheel. When I got home, I took it apart and discovered the dual puncture, also discovered the tire had a bunch of water in it which watered down the sealant, which prevented it from sealing. I hope if I let it dry, that It will seal, but in the mean time it means a trip to the LBS to stock up on tubes.

All the chains looked dookie brown this morning and before work I had to relube all their drive trains, since its still raining and they still got to get to school.

Whew,... Who woulda thunk I would have to be the pit crew for an Indian Clan of Daily cyclist, cracks me up.

Laters,

LOS

3 comments:

The Evil MGE! said...

I have enough trouble maintaining my ride. My wife's bike is out of commission for the moment as parts from it are keeping me rolling and then the trailer and Adams trail a bike just need the occasional air in the tires. Keep the family rolling.

paintboy said...

I feel you brother.. four kids of my own and four grand kids . But were else can be a hero all the time.. not to mention skateboards, gopeds,dirt bikes ,boats,and anything else that's fun..

Lacey said...

The rain is really putting a damper on our riding this week. I'm afraid my bike is going to be covered in a thick layer of dust before the sun comes out again!