Friday, May 08, 2009

ExTenDed ReView Part ONE: OsPreY TaLoN 22 Back/Hydration Pack


I have had the Osprey bag several months now and I got to say its my new best friend.

What do I like so much about it???

Well, you can pack the heck out of it for one. Pack and pack it full of things and it still feels nimble and capable on your back and under load.

I also like all the pockets. You got 2 exterior pockets on the pack that you can reach over and access, you also have two zipped pockets on the hip belt that you can access while riding. As well, as you got a big pull over and clip pocket on the outside that you can put a ton of stuff in. On either side it has pull on straps that you could theoritically tie things too in a pinch.

Now into the interior and the things I have learned. The hydration location rocks simply because you dont have to empty your bag to fill it. It also can hold a fully loaded 200 oz bladder with no issues. Now I dont use goos or gels or anyother processed "cycling" food. BUT, sometimes I need a caffeine kick while out in the wilderness. My "KICK" of choice is Dark Chocolate. The problem is, if you have a particularly hot day, the Chocolate melts. WELL I discovered in the same location as the hydration bladder a compartment I call the Chocolate pouch. It sits up between the bag and the hydration compartment and its the perfect place to put the chocolate and not have it melt since its sitting against the hydration bladder which tends to stay cooler then the exterior of the pack. I honestly dont know the intentional purpose of the pouch, but for this Indian, its for chocolate.

The top compartment is perfect for anything you may want to keep handy and the big compartment can hold a bunch of stuff as well. On the immediate inside of the large compartment there is another small pouch. I dont know what the intended purpose of pouch, but I use it for my light and my battery for easy access and for use while riding. I even thread the cord through a pull tight bungee towards the top of the pack to help with the routing of the cable. Works great!

I did experience a small tear in the bottom of the bag, BUT, the pack has a lifetime guarantee against everything. Meaning no matter what happens to it, even if I damage it, Osprey will repair or replace it at no charge. What else can you ask for out of a pack.

This Pack is most definetely Built To Shred!

Laters,


LOS

5 comments:

Rob Roberts said...

i like your bag too. i have bag envy - wait a second, don't women suffer from this over purses..... let me check my man card.... still valid, whew.

the new camelbak i have is pretty nice too. i wish it had the hip belt pockets like the talon and an external strap/tie-down system like yours. but other than that it is great. it held all my crap with zero issues and i can fill the bladder without having to open the main compartment - sweet.

the internal pocket you speak of with the small hole you routed your light cable through was probably intended to be for an MP3/iPod - the hole is to route the ear-buds. Is it lined with a soft material so as not to scratch up said device? that's my guess.

Karlos said...

nah, they are both, similar, one is inside the main compartment, one in the hydration compartment. They seem to work well for the purposes I am currently using them for. Ya, I thought the bag would be over kill for short rides, but it excels whether packed light or heavy AND, the foam padding they put and the ability to customize to the torso length are also another set of great features I appreciate, due to their guarantee against anything, I recommend this pack for someone wanting to buy a do all pack and not want to ever buy one again, thats me perfectly!

Treadlight said...

did you use the Mountain Feedbag too? How was it on the 53 mph downhill?

Karlos said...

next review is an extended test on the feedbag u mentioned. my feed strategy at pmbar was perfect, everything worked even better then i expected.

Unknown said...

i love my kestrel.. though I wouldnt try riding with it on the bike. welcome to the world of Osprey! good stuff :)