Sunday, November 08, 2009

DiRRRty

The mission was simple. Dirty route from Apopka to the Sanford area.

We succeeded.

The purpose is to finish the Eye of the Huracan Route. In Fact, even more pavement keeps coming off the route, its actually pretty impressive, if I do say so myself.

In Fact, Soon, very soon, Like early December soon, I plan to go out and do the whole thing in its most dirtiest of versions.

After much ado, we met up at the Panera in Heathrow. I intentionally did not have breakfast and Intentionally kept my calories low on the ride, I wanted to burn some excess fat I had unfortunately accumulated. And although I could not put down any big efforts, It worked, I did lose some pounds on Saturday.

We rolled via the Seminole WeKiva Trail out of Heathrow towards Sanford, got off the trail and jumped on the roads snaking over to 46. Once on 46 we continued to the entrance to Rock Springs Run.

It proved a little tricky to follow my route, saw tons of bear tracks, the most I have ever seen. Eventually the track got seriously over grown, and we had to do a bit of bushwhacking. Made it out the other side to find it nice and groomed again. The Mental Note I made was to find the way in from the other side since its so groomed from the opposite direction. We found a kick ass camp site that I will most definitely use in the future right by the river, then back tracked to the spot where Rob was sure that the original mapped route I had traced was going. We went and followed it and had to do even more bushwhacking, but eventually found the river and actually crossed at the spot that we were supposed too. It was shallow enough to wade across and before we knew it we were in Wekiwa Springs state park.

At that point, we explored a little more and made our way out. Then eventually out of the park where we did a little more exploring to examine other entrances. That proved to be only beneficial for the bonus miles. Once done we headed back up the road to the other side of the Seminole Wekiva trail and after what seemed forever back to Panera.

During our exploration of another camp site on the Wekiwa side we came across a group of 60 somethings that were canoe tripping down the river. Seems that we came up at just the right time, I suspect we would have come a little earlier we would have found us some Naked folks. I mean the dude barely had some thing tied around his waist, but its all good, I believe people should be allowed to enjoy nature anyway they want. We actually came across other riders and I wondered as we pedaled out if they were going to be able to find there way out of the park. I reckon eventually they would have gotten out.

Overall, I believe what we found could be used for the Eye Race, and it will prove to be a good addition. Adding that extra level of adventure to the race.

Should be Interesting.

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: