Thursday, November 05, 2009

So I Did IT

Dreamt of getting a fixie Road bike, but the Bank account and desires for a multiday bikepacking tour changed my perception.

And I went out to the Garage and rummaged around.

First I found a LX Deore front ring size 44. Then I found two chains both very long, but not long enough to wrap around my 17 tooth ENO hub Cog and the New 44 tooth chain ring I had slapped on.

So with a little work and three separate chain tools, I got the chain the right length all tight and stuff the way Fixie goodness should be.

I then spun the cranks and everything spun great, but the chain line was not perfect. NOW, a renowned bike Mechanic I am not, Renowned shit talker I am, but bike mechanic NOT, I went ahead and made some calls this morning.

The subject, Chain Line.

And after some careful conversations, I was instructed to "attempt" to move it to the inside of the spider, and if it does not fit, then to "not worry" cause it is a nine speed chain and they do allow for a little flex.

Now every time I get out and pedal that fixie, I just simply love it. What can I say, until you have done it, you will not understand the love of the Fix. I think a very drunken conversation I had with the Warriors' Princess very much summarizes the reason I find so much JOY in Fixie riding.

Because there is such a deep connection between man and machine, meaning that wheel moves, your leg move, no compromise. It elevates the physical activity of riding the bike to an Artistic level. It takes so much more skill, so much more conscious effort to keep it all in control, that it evolves the experience from merely being physical activity, to Artistic Creative Poetry in motion.

NOW, the Dilemma. LOL. I got a map ride scheduled with the President of Singletrack Samurai Productions on Saturday. Do I ride the Black and take an automatic easy gearey day, OR do I release the FIXIE BEAST????

I think I know what I will end up doing.

IN other news. Seems my Etrex Vista HCX SD card reader has died. Which is a bummer cause my TOPO maps that provide great detail and such will not load. It still does all else its supposed to do, but its still a bummer. Garmin instructed me to try somethings tonight to see if it "fixes" the problem, but I am pretty sure its fubared. SEE, the Unit is supposed to be water resistant up to a 1 meter water submersion. I have never sunk the thing, but I did have plenty of wet rides this season, and I think the Seal on the battery compartment was defective and water got into the reader and killed it. Garmin said if that was the case they would replace it but it takes about three weeks. I got THREE big Bike Trips I want to do before the year ends and I GOT TO Have my unit, so I will not send that thing till I finish my last trip and then patiently wait for it to return. But BUMMER regardless.

AND, the Grips I put on the WAR MACHINE, which I digg immensely, after four rides are falling apart. BUT, Jeff Kerkove is sending me a new set AND they will be TEAM GREEN which I have always wanted, so Im pretty happy there. AND hopefully Nite Rider will fix my light and send it back soon, in fact, Im going to call and check on it now.

Reluctantly I think I may go see the Fourth Kind, LIL'r NI wants to See it, BIG DADDY NI, is kinda creeped out by it... O well...

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

4 comments:

bikechain said...

fixie MTB?

Rob Roberts said...

gearie.... don't want that other dude to rip yer legs off er nuffin....

Karlos said...

LOL, Ya Fixie MTB is really all I been about lately. Did tons of Rides off roadie MTB fixed and even WON the CFiTT off Roadie Fixie, its so much fun! Hey your out in Tally right?

bikechain said...

Right. We're in Tally