Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The PrOGreSSIOn...

Its Turkey Month. That's Right folks time to give thanks and appreciate the things we value in our lives the most.

2009 has been a real challenging year, BUT, I got to keep the head up. Things definitely took a turn, and I guess in the end all of this will make sense. I have grown from all these trials and tribulations and I have had some victories. BUT, that's not what this post is about. This post is about talking about the people who influenced me to ride harder and to step up my skills to the next level. The ones who I look up too, who may not even know I looked up to them, who inspired me to be where I am today. It will be several articles over the next couple of days but I feel the need during November to reflect and share.

Aaron Watson. Been my friend since I was 12 yrs old. Our association started as Skateboarders. Aaron was and Is an excellent skateboarder, I at the time, very similar to present day was on the Fringe of Deltona Skateboarding and was a lone dog. I would skate alone, not part of any particular clique. Back in those days, there was no videos and no Internet so we were innovators in the sport for our town. Eventually we grew up, but we always kept in touch. Then I discovered MTB and We started riding together. He would straight up kick my ass in all the XC races. He would do some Ned Overend shit and come from behind and beat me. Because of him I worked my ass off to get faster and before he retired from racing, I did manage to beat him a couple times. We are still very good friends but we never ride together anymore, but that's fine cause we still skate.

John Stamstad. Quite Interesting enough, Aaron showed me an article from a magazine cant remember which about Stamstad's ride across the GDMBR. It was funny cause he said to me, I WANT TO DO THIS. Well, for now it looks like Aaron never will, but I kind of carried his tradition. LOL, it was actually Aaron who inspired me to ride single speed and cyclocross and to get into bike packing and the whole Tour Divide thing. BUT Stamstad directly inspired us both. I relegated in the stories of him signing up to do 24 hour races solo before anyone ever thought about it. Indeed Stamstad was a huge influence in the man I am today.

John Moorehouse. As far as I know the first Ultra Endurance athlete from the Central Florida Area. Read alot about his 24 hour efforts and about his rides to Athens, I was just impressed by his raw ability to ride and ride. I heard a story about him, don't know if its true, but he rode from his house in the Orlando Area, to Hardrock in Ocala, raced the expert class then rode home. He definitely inspired all the crazy stuff I do today and he probably is completely unaware of his influence on my cycling. PLUS, on top of all that he was at arms reach, I would go do Urban Assault rides and he would be there riding with us doing wheelies for miles and miles, pretty sick rider and really humble guy.

These individuals helped shaped my thoughts and efforts in my early years of cycling, but they were not the only ones. Check back tomorrow for part 2 and see who else I got hero worship for.

LOL

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: