Friday, July 02, 2010

STiLL


"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm.
When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road.
By doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses one still gets wet.
When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things."
--Hagakure
Last night I was brave. I ventured wholeheartedly into the storm. When I first rolled out I could see that the rain had missed me; or so I thought. For half the ride it was as if I was tracking the storm, I saw the clues of its presence, I saw the signs that it had been there. I could even hear it off in the distance. It's Rumbling. When I got to the high ground, it was as if I was in the one pocket that had no rain, in all directions the clouds were dark and the sky was flashing.

Thankfully I was prepared and had my rain jacket. It was not long into Lake Mary that the sky opened up without mercy. Today the rain was relentless. I felt like I was in a pool. Riding through the back roads, the flooding was present. The rain had come too fast and too much. Huge puddles, that even I was doing my best to avoid.

In Sanford it got pretty chilly so I zipped up my shirt and zipped up my jacket. Was bummed that I didn't have a blinky and did my best to stay on the sidewalks more then usual and put myself on the extra sensitive setting for defensive riding. One road had become so "Technical" that I was able to out pace the cars and was never caught.

The rain never let up. When I got home, I had LIL'r NI open the garage cause I didn't want to trudge my soaking through the house. As the Garage opened slowly, I stood there hand on my hip, chest poking out, doing my HERO POSE. His Face lit up and he laughed at me and asked me what the heck was I DOING...
I did feel like a Hero, it definitely felt like a battle riding through that storm. I would of stopped and waited, but time was a factor, I had indeed promised to the LiL one that I would be home by seven; 650pm, Hero Feat achieved!

This morning I got up at 4am, heard the drops outside. I opened the door, and the rain was still there. I was not in the mood to fight this rain again.

So I didn't.

Enjoy celebrating Freedom from the British day!

Take Care,

Laters,

The Naked InDiaN

No comments: