Tuesday, July 27, 2010

TraNsFLoridA: The GhOsT ToWn of St FraNciS, WaGon Trail and BucK LaKe

How do I come up with these Ideas?

Was a question I heard sometime last weekend.

Rob Blames me for it all, but the idea was his really. He asked if it was possible.

Now keep in mind, any dirty route is possible. Dirty does not mean that we wont ride road, Road Riding is part of it. I try to pick some scenic road if possible, or Road with bad pavement.

And really there are only two ways across this part of the state and go dirty. You either go via Green Swamp Or you go via ONF.

So if you do the CFiTT route, you essentially end up doing part of the TransFlorida and Part of the Huracan. Same thing with the Santos Epic Plus. Its an off road super highway right through the middle of the state.

My packing scheme is keen people. And Rob's New Handlebar bag was perfect. For once I was completely content with my packing.

I decided I would pack in my food instead of buying till I got to Santos.

I made 4 sandwiches, took a bag of strawberries, a bag of Cherries, a bag of Rice and 3 apples.

I decided to go with bottles this time. I even got one of those New Camelbak water bottles. I carried two bottles in my pockets and 3 in my frame bag along with some food.

The bottles worked great, even found a better way to carry them by rides end.

We rolled into dusk. I say to Rob," Hey, its only 17 miles to the Ghost Town of St Francis, We can make that before dark right?"

As we rolled along the Naked Indian route, we eventually started to ride some terrain we had never ridden before. I had no Idea that Lake Helen had a predominately Black neighborhood. It seems to me that there were not many instances on the route that we were not doing rollers. In fact seems like the whole way, all we did was go up and down, up and down. The rollers through this part of town were lovely. The Frogs were so loud that I thought I was imagining things. The temperature was perfect and the moon was bright. Right away I was thankful to be loaded up and on the bike.

We stopped at a convenience store and I had a quick snack and refilled my two bottles, I knew that till we made buck lake there would be no potable water and there would be no food till we got clear of the National Forest.

After my snack of chocolate and strawberries we eventually made the single track that led us to the Ghost Town of St Francis.

The singletrack was Uber technical, mostly flat AND BUFF, till we made a short climb up onto an old road bed elevated above the rest of the forest floor. Long bridges, constant arm slap from the shrubs, this was nice. At one point I rode right by a HUGE snake. Had to tell Rob to Stop as I shooshed it off the trail. I had an OTB moment, injury free, but painful nonetheless. And before we knew it, we made St Francis, 34 miles Later. Whoops. I guess my estimate of40 miles to buck lake was going to be a little off.

We set out on the Paisley - St Francis wagon trail. AS is the trail will stay in the "Challenge". Why?
\Well, its historic.
Think about it, Hundreds of years ago, this was the only road connecting two towns. It just feels cool. Mind you, this bastard is 50% plus, 5 miles of questionable terrain. I made quick work of it. I will let Rob post up his opinion of it, but Im pretty sure he hates it. I actually used my leg work to get through it. I found that keeping a super high spin was keeping me moving fast through the sand. When I did Hike, I was pushing, I figure I need to get better at pushing a bike, and Sean's Hike a bike workouts, HELPED a TON, Im ready for the upcoming TNGA.

As I was waiting at the clay road that was part of the old wagon trail, a truck pulled up.

"You Ok?"
" The Road is up that way"..

I respond, " I know, but I am going that way, riding across the forest", "Thanks".

He shoves off.

For a second, I thought maybe there would be some trouble. Earlier that evening I had to tell someone to fuck off. But nah, no static. It would not have been a good day to pick a fight. I felt like I just kicked part of the wagon trails ass and I was ready for more, it would not have been pretty for him. LOL.

We finished the road, took a small break as we started the single track again. From here on out it was skinny trail all the way to camp.

The trail was so fun and I really was enjoying it.

At one point we were taking the Old road that leads to buck lake and I was thankful I had the GPX track, without it I dont think we could have followed it. At one point the Grasses and weeds were taller then us sitting on our bicycles and yet you could still see the faint road that used to exist.

57 miles later we arrive at Buck Lake. Immediately taking showers and breaking camp, drinking water and refueling. After a bit of hanging out and 3gee usage we both hit the sack. I slept like a baby. Not even the mosquito buzzing in my ear was enough to keep my slumber away.

Already 57 miles in and my face was aglow in joy. I can feel that the Training is paying off. I wanted to train so I could go out and ride the ride I wanted to ride and avoid the suffering. Except for a little bit of chapping I was feeling strong and looking forward to clearing the forest the next morning.

Part 2 tomorrow.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: