Sunday, December 28, 2008

FiXed in 09 parts 2 & 3

Well, Saturday was the big day. I took the fixie out while I was marking the trail for the Naked Indian ride.

My friend Magii showed up and joined me so I would not be all alone. It took all night, and I ran out of tape and paint and I still got a lot of marking to do, but that is how it goes in this business. Lesson Learned.

As for the bike, after 30 miles of straight pedaling and not being able to coast, I was exhausted. We finished the night and I learned a bunch about riding a fixed gear bike.

Even after I stopped my legs still felt like they were pedaling. But this is what I wanted after all, I wanted a new challenge and I wanted to do something that would make me stronger.

Sunday we got up early and decided to head to croom to do some more riding. I wanted to take the bird out there and I was intrigued by PaintBoy's (from the swamp.org forum) account of reaching the spirit tree. I never even knew about it and googled a little bit and asked him for directions and we went for it today. More on that part later.

Back to the fixed, I learned to ride some technical stuff with it. Some steep downhills and ups, and after today I think two things. 1. I think I can ride any trail fixed. Its easy by applying reverse pressure as your stroke goes on to slow down your speed. 2. I think I am ready to put the clips on and try that out.

I am having fun, my legs are toast, my first weekend riding fixed I did 75 plus miles of fixed riding. I would say I really gave it a thorough testing.

Next post will be pics and shots and a write up on our Spirit Tree experience. I really recommend you check it out. But, don't ask me where it is, cause I am not telling.

Enjoy,
Laters,
LOS

No comments: