Thursday, March 25, 2010

CoACh OnE FiXeD GeAr & CoAcH CoMMuTe To WoRk

Yesterday, after work, I decided to ride my Fixie home. Last Weekend no miles and this weekends wedding meant more of the same so I know I needed to get some kind of training in.

So, after a long day of work, I suited up and started the ride home. It was beautiful and poetic, as I speeded along. Although I wish the route was not littered with other commuters, I still found the beauty in all the corners. I enjoyed watching my Shadow snake dance as I stood and pedaled up and over the bridge. Watched a Flock of geese drafting and flying in Unison. Noticed all the cool things that somehow seem to end up on the side of the road, "hey is that Jigsaw's Glove I just saw".
30 miles later less than 2 hours ride time and I felt strong and great.

Today I got up. Started my ride back to work. It was dark, but my lights were more than sufficient. I got started a little late, but that's OK. My cadence was perfect. I looked down and my legs rhythmic cadence and marveled at the fact that I still had mud on the seat stays from the CFiTT that I won back in October. What is it about a Fixed gear bike that is so fun and satisfying? I seem to just love it. In fact, I would say riding 30 miles on A Fixed gear is a hell of a work out, but I have acquired so many fixed gear techniques that it hardly feels like much of an effort at all.

My knee started hurting in the front? I don't know what the heck is going on. Is it injured? I mean this has never happened before? Did I somehow get a little taller with all the yoga now my wobble naught fit is off? Something ain't right and I don't like it? Do I need to keep pedaling it and rehabilitate it? I don't know, but I figure next weekend I may take a trip to west palm to visit Matt Goforth.

As I was closing in to work, feeling good, I had accomplished all my goals, my chain popped off, it got wrapped up in the rear wheel and the front end started diving giving clear indications that I was on my way over the bars. I hit the eject button and unclipped my shoes and jumped over the bar, cleared the bike, landed and slid on my shoes and palm. My hand was fine, just burned a little, but I lost my Starbucks latte all over the floor.

Lesson learned, check the chain after a couple of rides.

Tonight, ride home and then back, 60 more miles by 830am tomorrow.

Good stuff, feel good and strong, just got to see what that knee pain is about.

Take care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: