Monday, March 01, 2010

RoCk Me LIke A HuRaCaN??!?!

Life totally get's in the way at the most inopportune moments.

Emotionally, problems with a certain not to be named someone and My son, all culminated to a rough week leading into the biggest challenge of my life.

I stayed positive and packed up and prepared, went to bed late on Thursday.

Rose early Friday and packed up took off, 100% sure I had not forgotten a thing. My technology and equipment distribution and prep are refined for sure. I know what to do in those regards, I had some small concerns about how my body would react, but I was amped and feeling confident.

In the parking lot, the mood was high as I joked and finished up my preparations. We rolled out and for a small bit of time I was in front, but it wasn't like I was trying to drop anyone, I was just riding, I miss a turn, Rob takes the front, and he slowly gets a gap on me. I was not worried. I come out of the woods, adjust one of my packs, Roll up my jacket sleeves and the chase was ON.

I got into my Clip on Aero bars and kept it pinned at 18 to 20 mph the whole way down. As I sang songs and flew by regular users, I wondered, what were they thinking when they saw me zip by with my hat bill turned up and a grin on my face.

I could see Rob, but as good as an effort as I was putting in, I didn't seem to be closing the gap.

The Bridge over 50 came, and he seemed to disappear, I make a turn, I cant see him, make another, cant see him, keep staying in the Aero bars and keeping the cadence High, still cant see him, then finally, there he is.

I keep chasing. We get to the 1st bushwhack section and I spot him not even 100 feet away. I get over there, take a nature break, take off my jacket, and get back on the bike.

Several miles and more steady pedaling later, I spot a red and black glove on the ground. It's Rob's. Many times I felt like a Man tracker on the route as I spotted his tracks. I tell you what, Rob does not know the definition of straight line, LOL.

I keep pedaling along, see the carcass of a dead boar in the road, my knee is hurting, WTF? Left Knee in the front, I don't know what is going on, finally make it out of Green swamp into the edge of Clermont, stop to refuel in water. Take a small break to wash my face and snack. Back on the bike, knee pain gets worst, but I keep going, till eventually I make it to US 27 and I stop at 7-11. I buy some food, throw it in my pack, buy a soda, and as I sit and massage my knee I plot dinner by dark at the edge of Lake Apopka on the overlook.

As I am climbing and descending US 27 I intentionally soft pedal and avoid standing knowing that Grassy lakes section would require me to stand and work to make the climbs. I stay patient and steady, taking advantage of every downhill by using my Aero bars to maintain optimal efficiency.

I get into Grassy Lakes keeping my pace up, and was able to do all the climbs standing as expected, the break worked, but now the left Tendon behind my left knee was screaming. Regardless, my leg's felt like bricks. I got to the roundabout before the Wall in Clermont and searched for a water source, I was worried I would run out in Lake Apopka preserve, but I didn't find any. I broke my headphones, crap. I climb the wall, find the entrance into Apopka Preserve and after a little riding it turned into a hike a bike. I could see Rob's tracks. Usually you can ride the edge in Sugar Sand, but the edges were littered with Cactus's. I was stuck walking, which is not bad, but my leg's were so cracked at this point, that even walking was a bit of a chore as they felt stiff. It was a little odd as my leg's don't usually feel like this. Regardless, I did the work, made Lake Apopka and did some video updates. Come to find out Later at this point I was only 1 hour and change behind Rob, even with all the breaks.

I rode thru Lake Apopka preserve with no lights, moon was so bright, animals everywhere, owls flying, huge splashes in the water. At one point I hear rumbling... Thunderstorms?? Then I look all the way across the river and I can see a fireworks show. Whats the Occasion I think? But I keep going. I needed to cross that river, I was dreading how quick the temps were dropping and how deep the river may be.

I stop at a store, eat, refuel, stock up water, buy some new music headphones, throw on more cold weather gear, then get to rolling some more. I get lost for a couple of miles, then take the west orange trail back to where I was supposed to be and quickly spot Anthony's pizza, I wanted hot food so I stopped. I sat there, ate half a pizza, wrapped up the other half and drank a beer, got rolling again.

Made Wekiwa Park, rode Muddy horrible single track, made the river. My plan to cross the river was to roll up my pants, put on some other shoes and go across then change. I took my shoes put them in a Bag, tied them to my pack, I scanned the river with my headlights for Alligator eyes glowing, but none were seen and aloud I was saying, got to go, got to go, and then Splash, I am nearly nipple deep, my packs taking water, and I can feel the current pushing me, as I get across, I keep moving thru the bushwhack section, get out to the main road, and asses damage.

Two shoes, soaked. One Sock Soaked. Extra wool socks soaked. Gloves, soaked. Cell phone bag, soaked, cell phone, OK. Arm warmers, dry, leg warmers dry. Ok. I get dressed again. Roll 100 feet, my left toe was completely numb. My right fingers, NUMB.

I stop and pull out my spare gore TeX cold weather rain weather gloves, nothing I could do for my left toe, I go. AS I roll on, I am thinking of Bear Grylls. He says in a Survival situation, don't panic, I got wet clothes on and the temps are dropping fast.

I stay calm. I look for any kind of paper, or any kind of bathroom or something were maybe I could camp inside and have a chance of getting warmer. I see a hunting shelter but its pad locked. The road out of Rock springs was awful at one point, but I did the work, and rode the ride of a champion. I found a Info Kiosk and trail maps and took a couple of handfuls and stuffed them in my frame pack. I kept moving. My realistic goal was to make the FT shelter at the edge of the Seminole forest, my dream in the clouds goal was the bathroom at buck lake. I was gonna make my realistic goal for sure.

What separates a race from an adventure race? I don't really know the answer, but I can tell you adding a mental puzzle seems to be part of it. Getting thru a locked gate with a fully loaded bike was a puzzler but I managed it, and kept going.

Kept the pace fast in the Aero's on the road and in no time fast, I was shivering and undressing at the FT shelter.

I took my gloves, and one shirt laid it on the wooden cot. Put my gigantic stuff sack on top of that and my wool shirt down. Then Laid my sleeping bag on top of it all. I stuffed my shoes with trail brochures and put both my back and shoes in the vicinity of my emergency blanket that I was using as a pseduo bivy. I went to bed, with my bibs on, my leg warmers on, my wool socks and my base layer shirt.

I got in covered myself and as I laid there my left toe was still useless. I began to rub it, then move it, then I could feel it. Fell asleep and woke up, don't know how much time had passed, but all my clothes were dry, I slipped off my arm warmers and kept sleeping.

I woke up listening to rain drops hitting the roof of the shelter. The underside of my emergency blanket was soaked from condensation. I got up. My clothes were dry, my shoes were dry. I had done it, I was very proud. For a second I thought the river soaking was disastrous. I did my business, ate some cold pizza, dried up my emergency blanket and packed up. I put on my rain gear, got on the bike and rolled out. It was pouring, but I was fine. The gear was working, I was not getting wet. BUT, there was a problem for sure. My leg's were powerless. Felt like bricks. In retrospect, I should of kept going, maybe after 40 miles I would of warmed up, when I hit Maggie Jones road, the entire thing was muddy mess for 7 miles of barely moving riding. It was demoralizing. Leg's dead, can barely move, rain pouring, I was feeling beaten.

I got to Paisley trailhead, and decided I was defeated. I was pulling the plug. Looking back now, maybe it just takes longer on day 2 to warm up, I don't know, I have never ridden so far so fast, this is all still very new to me in those regards, touring and racing are too different animals.

I contacted Bill Hoover via text, all I had signal for, and he said he would come get me. I was appreciative.

It was an epic ride and an adventure. The entire time I marveled at what Rob and I have done, we put together a loop that gives riders a chance to experience some back country hardcore goodness.

I did quit early, 14 hours 19 minutes of ride time 160 gps miles, 27 total hours, BUT I was proud of my performance. I can see that the CFiTT is gonna be way faster this year, and I see that I will prepare better and be ready for the total challenge. I have set a date for the end of May to take another attempt at this beast. As good as Rob's time is, It is beatable.

I thought alot, while I was out there. Some thoughts comical, some deep, some sad, some joyous. And I thought to when I used to "train". Back when I "trained" I was not on a good nutritional plan and the results really showed that. NOW, that I eat better and I have better overall health, maybe I should "train", after all, If there is a chance we can beat Black Ops at PMBAR, then I want to do it.

It was great adventure, fun and challenge, I encourage everyone to do it, you don't got to race it, but if you crave an off road multi day self supported epic, then why not?

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you improvised quite nicely after the river crossing. Figuring out stuff on the fly is part of the ‘adventure’s’ attraction imo. You were obviously “racing” with a capital R.

Also your post analysis sounds correct, to me at least. I am sure your legs would have come around. Pacing and hence racing on a multi-day is just ‘different’ and perhaps one has to experience it at it’s best/worst, and deal with it several times, before it all individually ‘fits’.

ScottM said...

Good stuff, man. Thanks for the report.

Congrats on giving it a go. Hard to say for sure if your legs would come back, but my overwhelming experience is that they do eventually come back.... most of the time, that is.

Hard to see that when other factors are coming into play as well.

Rob Roberts said...

thanks for putting the effort into this stuff to make it go. the work will be rewarded.

Rob

Karlos said...

Good info Marshal and Scott, next time I will be more Valiant, and Scott I will for sure let you know when I go out and ITT it.

And Rob, thanks for participating, believing and helping, one day hopefully, there will be a thriving bike packing self supported nut jobs in the state to battle against. Your ride was super impressive without a doubt you are a champion as a cyclist and a person!