Thursday, June 17, 2010

BiG ThUnDeRsTorM RaCeR

The Rumblings Started Early.

To you, it was the ever present afternoon call of Thunder.

To Me it was Smack Talk, straight Smack Talk.

Thunder knew damn well that I was riding home today. Knew damn well that I had forgotten my Rain coat, but it was of no consequence, I rarely back down to a challenge.

I was the first to attack. Made Thunder give chase. He had wind on his side, I had fresh legs on mines. I decided to Flank his approach, and pedaled fast, never letting the tempo in my legs get any slower, steady effort, as aggressive on the climbs as on the flats. Hit the Seminole Wekiva bike trail, Thunder had not caught me yet. I figured, if he did catch me, I would let him go for a second before mounting a counter attack, so the plan was solid. I made my first spot to seek potential cover from the deluge and chilled air that Thunder travels with.
Started the Long section of the trail that ascends next to Mitchell Hammock and Thunder had done the work of chasing and was starting to catch me. Rain drops were hitting, 3.7 miles till the next potential cover area.
Even though Thunder was nipping at my heels, I kept the pace high and kept the effort fast, I was not gonna let up, he had not caught me yet. With 2.3 miles to go, I look overhead and Thunder was on Top of me. 1.7 miles to go, he lets loose with his attack. At the most wide open and unexposed spot Thunder & his storm had caught me, but I did not let up and 2 minutes after catching me, with barely a soaking to my skin and my gear, I made Panera and sat under the patio cover as Thunder & his storm Flexed their Mighty muscle. Lightning flashed, the wind blew hard, the air was cold.

But I was safe, and patient, as I sat and waited for him to make his noise and pass me by. Once I saw the Tail end of Thunder & his Storm's Peloton I started my counter attack. Quickly stopped at the Winn Dixie and stuffed two newspapers in the front of my shirt and one the in back to keep me warm as I started to ride into the back of the group.

As I pedaled fast, before I knew it, I was right Under Thunder and his storm. My counter attack was fierce, As I picked them off one by one. First I passed the Lightning, then I overcame the chill, eventually, as I cheered myself up and over the Bridge taking me into Volusia County and carved the dirt that led to the Gemini Springs Path, What had been a cross wind and a headwind, Gave way to a tail wind and gave me an added boost.

Now I knew I had Thunder right where I wanted him. His chase had been too long, his muscle flexing too much, It was time for him to feel the Fury of my attack. I was flying, spinning perfect circles and being pushed by the very own wind that was pushing him.

As if fired from a HIGH caliber Rifle I eventually punched through Thunder and His Stormy Peloton, going faster than before, I didn't let up. I kept it going, with His Own Fuel fueling me, I covered the final 9 miles in Record time.

Thunder & His stormy peloton did well today, but just like everyone on my commute he succumbed to my Cannibalistic ways.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: