Wednesday, June 02, 2010

HuRaCaN FuRy: MiNNeOLa To PAiSLeY

As always it feels like it all comes down right to the wire with preparation for this type of thing. I remember after a conversation with Matt Lee he said the hardest part of an Off road tour is "getting to the start".This morning was no different, as I finished my final prep and filmed the first clip, it was 718am when I got rolling instead of 6am as I had wanted.Immediately, I had noticed I left the wool socks I wanted to ride with and the adjustable wrench I need to tighten my chain. Rob had come out to bid me farewell, but I did not want to ask him for anything. Part of this self imposed adventure is to be self reliant and I was starting right off the bat.As I rolled out, I immediately had to turn around and get my gloves. LOL. Back on the road heading towards the hilliest part of the route with the biggest tallest climbs. The handlebars were flexy wit all the weight. If I had to guess I would say the bike weighed close to 40lbs fully loaded. I made quick work of the first couple of climbs, snapping pictures along the way. I love Clermont, Love how hilly it is and how far you can see.
Eventually, as I am making my way down the road towards the wall and the Apopka preserve entrance I come across some roadies, pass a group of them and even manage to reel one in and pass him on the climb up the wall, not that I was trying to either, I guess he was just a slow climber. I end up having a bit of trouble finding the gate, but I eventually end up on Wolfe Head road as its says on the map and begin the bike/hike section of the park. After you clear this spot you can pedal the whole way. As I am pushing, I come across Fresh bear tracks. Curious indeed its the last thing I expected to see on this side of the lake. I press on, miss my turn, back track, get on track, cruising well, hit an intersection and there he was a couple of hundred feet away, the biggest Black Bear I have ever seen in the wild and my first up close sighting in Florida. I kept quiet, and let him stroll away, didn't want to spook him, or scare him or startle him. I took photos and video, and then kept rolling. Eventually I reached the observation tower, and sat on the steps, ate a bit, reflected and meditated on what I had done so far. Was feeling just great, beautiful day, super stoked about the bear sighting.
I roll on, actually come across people working on the canal, my pace is fast. When I get to the gate, they had actually added some sort of bolt so I could not open it wide enough to squeeze my bike through. I almost panicked but I was able to go left about 15 feet and pull up the fence and slide under.On I go. I cruise right by the gas station pressing on to the West Orange trail. I see a bike shop and stop to look at socks. Didn't like any so on I go. Almost at the point where I got to make a right on Welch Road, I see an Advanced Auto parts and my intuition quickly reminds me that I have to get an adjustable wrench to have just in case I need to tighten my chain. I don't ignore it, I stop and by it. $13 bucks, OUCH, but on I go, just enjoying the ride and the bit of undulating road as I approach Wekiva springs park.
When I get there the cars are backed out the gate and being turned away, but I ride by them all, and ask if I can just get water and use the bathroom, they let me through no charge, I do that, then hit the single track in the back heading towards the river crossing. Halfway through the muddy track my chain complains and explodes. I had completely sheared a link in half. I figured I was not far from Big Buck camp, so I pushed on hoping to use the camp site as a place to stage a quick link repair.
Well I end up walking a little too long and miss the camp, fix the chain, and back track to it, Do the river crossing, bushwhack( Rob let's reroute the future route onto the white trail and cut across to Indian mound that bushwhack is ridiculous) and make it onto the faded road that leads to the main two track and over to Indian Mound camp to take another break. I soaked in the water, socialized with people that were hanging out, always very nice, always very generous, always asking a ton of questions. I bathed and reapplied lube to my sensitive areas and cleaned out my shirt and heard the first rumbles of a storm. I looked at the sky and figured I could pedal out from under it.
As I made the work of getting out of Rock Springs Run preserve an area which is often sandy and requires creative lines, I started to feel a little bit tired. On the road I spotted a guy selling P NUTS and asked him if he had any drinks for sale. He said NO, but said he could give me a diet coke. I took it and drank it, and called my Mom to check on my sons and pressed on to Seminole Forest. As I made my way through Seminole Forest I could see the Storm Clouds on the Horizon and that I was riding towards them. The thought of navigating Maggie Jones wet again was not welcoming, but I was determined.I like this part of the route, big open area, little sweet river spot, I always envision taking a special lady to that spot. I sat for a minute, listened to the storm, then got back on. As I got closer to the storm I hit the final section and the strangest thing happened. It was raining 100 feet to my left, but not on the road where I was riding. Indeed, as I cleared the gate, the storm started coming down and the lighting over head was threatening. I stopped under a small shelter waiting to see if I could get out from under the storm. But after waiting 15 minutes it was not letting up, so I zipped up my jacket and took off.

As I made my way off the dirt and onto SR 44 the storm was raining cats and dogs, gigantic drops of water were falling from the sky, but again, my resolve was steadfast. I stopped for a minute and a guy pulls up behind me offering a ride. I had to explain to him and thank him but I could not accept his generosity. He actually seemed upset by it, but I had to press on. After a little more pedaling I make Maggie Jones and the HELL BEGINS.

It was standing, and grinding and periodic sinking, and hiking and pushing, but I persevered. Even came across a truck that had bottomed out and was completely stuck, but I persevered. When I finally hit the pavement, after all this hard work, I was so thankful, I had said about 3 prayers to God on that road.

I rode into Paisley, I needed hot foot and liquid calories. I ate, and relaxed and tried to regain my composure I knew the road ahead was not going to be any better.

Tomorrow Paisley to Electra.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: