Monday, June 28, 2010

Pffffftttt

So, This weekend I was pinned at home being a Dad. Missed a kick ass ride with the whole Tampa Proper Crew in San Felasco, would of been fun to go out there and deal pain.

BUT, Alas, it was my destiny this weekend to stay home and entertain my sons and be just a Dad. Not bad really, I managed to sneak in two glorious training rides.

Saturday I rolled out at 1pm. Right in the peak of the heat to do part of the Indian loop through Old Train Road, then Cassadega on to Old Enterprise to Wolf Pack Run Trail back into Deltona. Stopped at the Lost In Time Cafe to enjoy a Nice Latte, great ride, with some hard 15 minute efforts thrown in, I was on it. Kept it in the middle and just really felt good. Was upset by rides end cause after two rides I have still not dialed in the Brooks on the Black. Regardless, the rest of the evening was spent relaxing in front of the tv, watching Dew cup.

Sunday, I got up early and rolled out the house by 8am heading back to Cassadega via Old Train Road to Ranch Road, then into De land to hit a different coffee shop that I had not tried before. Even got to play with the Map My ride APP for my droid which was really cool cause at the 11 mile point it gives me verbal update on all my stats, funny.

After I finished my drink I rolled on through De land deciding at that point that I wanted to head back into Cassadega, back onto Old Enterprise Road, then Onto Wolf Pack Run, taking it all the way to the Lakes to see if I could figure out the Deltona Connector.

But then something happened....

In the Days of Old when a Samurai would reach Legendary status, Other Samurai's would travel far to come challenge them to see if they could take on the best of the best. As I was pedaling up the I 4 overpass that takes me into Cassadega, a rider in a Slipstream Garmin Chipotle team kit pulls up next to me and the conversation goes like this...

" You the Cannibal?"

" Me sir? Am I The Cannibal? Why, Yes I am"...

And with that, he Clicked the shifters on His 16lb Carbon Fiber Road bike and pedaled away to crest the climb of the over pass, clearly marking his intention.

I instantly match his effort and shadow his rear wheel and as soon as we crest, I drop into my freddies. I have not been passed on a ride in weeks, say for only Rob Roberts and I expect it from him, but this lowly Garmin Chipotle Slipstream team rider was not going to best me on this day. I descend the Over pass at break neck speed, the Cannibal is showing no mercy as I hammer every single roller, up and down, up and down, not looking back, not getting out of my Freds.

I see Old Enterprise Road approaching and take a glance back. He could not match my counter attack and was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy back there. Hopefully he learned his lesson to not test the Cannibal on his home turf.

I had resolved that day to train strong. The day before I kept it in the middle ring up front the entire ride, today I kept it in the Big ring the entire ride. Things are alot easier with the GPS, as I rode around the Lake, I took time to sit and admire the water and the beauty and the sounds. Got on the bike and followed the ATV trail that was leading towards a road. Popped out onto a huge Sand dune area that looks to have lots of traffic with two deep ponds in the middle. It was a bit exciting, feeding my exploratory nature. I continued on, finding a steep gravel road at some point thinking all of this would make a fitting addition to the Naked Indian Trail, I am having entirely too much fun to call any of this training.

The ride home was beautiful, peaceful and poetic, just me and my Freddies hammering the rollers enjoying the beautiful weather that Florida Has to offer.

Feel so blessed.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

No comments: