Wednesday, June 09, 2010

INteRnEtS Meet KoAch, KoAcH MeeT INteRneTs

SO, a couple of weeks ago I wrote a post about being "open" to coaching. NOT coaching, but KOACHING. What's the difference??? Well I will tell you, when I do something it gets a K put on it cause its just a little harder or different than everyone else.

I was specific in what I wanted and what I could do and what my abilities and time restraint was. Days went by and then one day I got an email. It came from someone who has commented on my blog before and who I suspect maybe one of my 29 usual readers or not. He told me quite honestly that he is not a coach but he is experienced with lots of aspects of coaching and then he asked me what I could do what I couldn't do what results I wanted, lots of KOACHee questions.
I have been riding for going on 11 years now. I NEVER had a coach. NEVER have really trained, done just a bunch of Haphazard shit and my results really shows it. BUT, I never really minded either. Now that I have no Love life, and I have no real Life other than caring for my sons I figure it was as good a time as any to be HARDCORE. SO, I want to get serious, I want to really perform and do well and test my new shape and body and abilities.
So I told the Koach how many hours I could ride, told him what I needed to work on, told him the type of bikes I had, and a week or two later, I got an plan that detailed what I should be doing everyday right down to the day of the race. WOW. What race am I preparing for?? Well I'm always preparing for something but the race in particular is the Trans North Georgia.
I looked over the plans, asked alot of questions and started training. I pretty much jumped right into the third week of the plan since I got the Plan a couple of days before the Huracan and I figure Huracan was probably gonna be good enough BASE miles for what the first couple of weeks covered.
Last night I went for my first on the Calendar Training ride. I Had fun. The first of the three prescribed effort was hard, second made me feel the hot lactate pouring into my muscles and the third was actually a piece of cake. I don't use a Heart Rate Monitor and I am not going to get one, so I used an online calculator that described my heart rate ranges, and then compared it to another online chart that focused on perceived effort and what I should be able to do and not do or feel when I am in the zone.Because I don't own a watch nor do I plan to get one, I had to figure out an "organic" way to time these efforts. Simple, I put it on Pandora, Lil Wayne radio, and when a song would start, I would do the effort for the entire song, rest a song, then repeat till I was done. Worked great. Who knows maybe it will lead to some type of hypnosis and I will be riding hear a LIL Wayne song and instinctively ATTACK.OK, WHO is the Coach. Well I will tell you, he is a proven Tri Athlete which was perfect cause Hike a Bike in an event like the one I will be doing is practically a second sport in the race. He is a proven Expert racer, Road Racer and Time Trialist. Local Athlete, Owner Operator of Recover Better dot Com and Volunteer average guy Koach for the Naked Indian aka the Singletrack Samurai Sean Crichton.
If you see him say hi. If you need products buy from Recover Better dot com, show support, after all, he did all of this, and did extensive research to help me, out of the kindness of his heart.

Here is a shot of him in Action, all Pics taken of Facebook!In short, Thanks Sean, I dont forget easily when someone is generous and I really appreciate it, I will kick ass and take names and proclaim the name of the first ever Singletrack Samurai Koach!

Take care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

1 comment:

Donnie Harries said...

That is cool, I too have never had a coach, but I have been talking to and riding with some. They really inspire me to work harder than all my competition. Great read, keep it up.
Donnie