Tuesday, June 01, 2010

HuRaCaN FuRy, ThE PrOLoGUe

This post requires several post in order to get it all out there, I will start with a short post here detailing some of the lessons I learned and a brief summary for those that dont want to read all the details or blow by blow.

Right of the bat, I did not finish the 300 fixed gear miles. And I dont feel bad about it, I ran out of time for one, had to pick up my kids by a certain time, and for two, my ass was raw, worst ever that its ever been. Based on the lessons learned list below, I think I could of done somethings differently and finished the ride, maybe a year from now I will take my lessons and try again just for fun. The route is a beauty, truly wonderful and I hoped my pictures had shown that. Ok, read on.

Lessons Learned:

1. Im an Idiot, 36 x 17 on a 29 inch wheel is good for flats but not good for singletrack or any gradual dirty climbing, especially not with a loaded bike.

2. I need to buy a scale and get my kit even lighter.

3. For Ultra Racing, get a bivy instead of the hammock. I didnt even used it, so I basically carried 1 extra lbs for nothing. When I am tired I need to just throw down and sleep, not think about setting up a hammock, I will use it for recreational bikepacking trips but not racing.

4. I see no Fixed gear Ultras in my future, there is no way to escape the ass and nuts from chapping, I lubed religiously and still chapped mercilessly.

5. Coffee is the fuel to ride into the night, with no sugar. Soda is good for liquid calories but does not work to keep you awake.

6. always carry spare clothes. always carry dry clothes, always carry toilettries. Like rule 32 appreciate the little things.

7. Always have emergency calories. No matter how much I ate, I was hungry always and quick, you burn a ton more calories, fixed gear and a ton more calories in tough conditions and a ton more calories pushing extra weight.

8. I can ride two back to back dirty hundies, I needed to prove that to myself.

9. Never underestimate the kindness and generosity of strangers, but always be mindful.

10. You can get anywhere, as long as you keep pedaling, LMAO.

On the trip I saw so much wildlife quick recap.

1. bear
2. 37 deer
3. 4 owls
4. 7 bats
5. 7 turtles
6. 100 centipedes
7. 100 spiders
8. 45 rabbits, I could of shot one for dinner for sure
9. 10 squirrels
10. 10 cows
11. 5 horses
12. 2 donkeys, LMAO
13. Unknown animal in croom forest, heard and not seen, making a grumbling sound, did not shine my light his way, sounded big.

Finally, the GPS data...

I did good, I am proud, not feeling bad at all about it.

Take Care,

Laters,

The NaKeD InDiaN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

prolly a pig